• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5200 for this error coin !!!!!!

25 posts in this topic

That's an incredible error and has a lot of action with a lot of time left! Wonder what Matt is going to be selling to try and get into some of that action!

That's a ridiculous price. Those errors are somewhat dubious - look how perfectly centered it is. I don't believe it was completely accidental.

I'm with Jason on this one . For an error it's just about perfect hm

That's a ridiculous price. Those errors are somewhat dubious - look how perfectly centered it is. I don't believe it was completely accidental.

I'm with Jason on this one . For an error it's just about perfect hm

Me three!

Chris

I couldn't agree more. This is one of those pieces that only those with the capacity to throw money at it, will. Totally absurd in my mind.

You trying to tell me that some mint errors happen on purpose! Next you're going to tell me that someone made the up and down leaf errors on purpose!!

This doesn't make sense. The title of this auction is "2008 James Monroe Dollar struck on dime planchet error".

However, in the written description he says, "The mint accidentally made around 100,000 James Monroe Dollars struck on quarter planchets but surprisingly none have shown up so far. Somehow this little guy slipped through and was found in a bag."

Did anyone else know that the mint had made around 100,000 JM Dollars on quarter planchets?

I'm guessing that the title is wrong and that this isn't struck on a dime planchet as the title suggests.

Yes Gunny, but this one is on a dime planchet.

OK. I thought he meant one of the quarter planchet errors slipped through. I think I understand now.

What is stopping someone from cutting the regular sized coin smaller with tin snips?

well for one thing it wouldn't change the coin from golden to silver, and it wouldn't reduced the thickness of the coin by 50%. Finally the edge would show the evidence of shearing from the tin snips.

Did anyone else know that the mint had made around 100,000 JM Dollars on quarter planchets?

Yes, it was published in Coin World back when it happened.

reversedime.jpg

reverdime.jpg

Out of curiosity, I over laid a circle over the reverse that is pretty close to the actual diameter of the error coin. Although not scientific, it's a pretty close match...now, the question is, a dime planchet struck in a chamber without a fitting collar, will the end diameter be larger than a regular struck dime?

I would not pay the amount bid without some sort of authentication from NGC, PCGS or the error experts at ANACS.

Out of curiosity, I over laid a circle over the reverse that is pretty close to the actual diameter of the error coin. Although not scientific, it's a pretty close match...now, the question is, a dime planchet struck in a chamber without a fitting collar, will the end diameter be larger than a regular struck dime?

I had wondered about this too. If it is legitimate, it is fascinating.

You trying to tell me that some mint errors happen on purpose! Next you're going to tell me that someone made the up and down leaf errors on purpose!!

This seems plausible; however, if it (the Wisconsin error) was done intentionally, I would expect to see a much smaller population (i.e. <100) to create an enormous premium. Also with Wisconsin state quarters, there seems to be a much wider distribution. I am unfamiliar with any other reports of the presidential dollars struck on dime planchets. I'm not sure that I believe the story about finding this in a bag. Do you remember the Sacagawea mules from yesteryear?

EDITED TO ADD parenthetical clarification.

..now, the question is, a dime planchet struck in a chamber without a fitting collar, will the end diameter be larger than a regular struck dime?

At first thought you would think it should be at least a little larger, but then you start factoring in the fact that the composition is harder than the manganese bronze of the dollar coins, and the fact that the thinner planchet means a lower pressure strike than it would give a dollar planchet and the diameter may not change that much at all. Also most of the obverse is taken up by the bust. That die would make first contact around the edges of the coin and the metal flow would be inward and upward toward the center and in filling the figure of the bust. This would probably keep the coin from expanding.

I think I would have had this certifed by NGC before I listed it for sale.

It's up to $6600, for that money you could have a decent Carson City Liberty double eagle. A certified one too.

It's a crazy world.

Well, here is a PDF file of the bidding history, and Fred's feedback numbers from this morning. While the BAY tries to make the bidding anonymous, anyone who is on the BAY a lot can figure out the bid winner pretty easily.

113432.pdf