• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern results, need some help from the experts!

12 posts in this topic

Well, the results of my whopping 7-coin modern submission were posted today, but I am honestly not sure whether to get excited or not! I am by no means a modern collector, so any knowledgable opinions would be helpful. These coins I put away when I was in High School, and just discovered them recently, so I decided to submit what I thought were the better ones. Some of the grades seem good, but with the smaller number of moderns graded by NGC relative to PCGS, I am not sure what to think, so any opinions would be appreciated. Here are the results:

2 1986-D 1c MS-66RD (according to the NGC pops 3 in 66, 24 in 67, 5 in 68 and 1 in 69, so not too exciting).

1987-D 1c MS-67RD (NGC pops 43 in 67, 9 in 68)

1990-D 5c MS-67 5FS (no pop data at all for 5FS, only 3 graded total, highest being a 64 6FS).

1985-D 50c MS-66 (12 in 66, 2 in 67 see below)

2 1985-D 50c MS-67 (2 in 67 none higher, but I don't think the numbers were updated for my submission, to the 2 will double to 4, this seems good confused.gif)

So overall, I am pretty happy as they were all graded and the turnaround time was 21 days since I submitted them at Portland. Should I be excited about any of these?

2 1990-D 1c MS-66RD (according to the NGC pops 3 in 66, 24 in 67, 5 in 68 and 1 in 69, so not too exciting).

Losers. They will sell for $2-3 on eBay.

1987-D 1c MS-67RD (NGC pops 43 in 67, 9 in 68)

Probably a $6 coin.

1990-D 5c MS-67 5FS (no pop data at all for 5FS, only 3 graded total, highest being a 64 6FS).

Big winner. The PCGS pop is 36 in MS65FS, 4 in MS66FS, and 2 in MS67FS. That means a lot of people need a nice FS example of this coin for their weenie sets. They will be willing to buy this coin and cross it. If I had to take a guess, I'd say $250-400 for this coin - perhaps MUCH, MUCH more.

1985-D 50c MS-66 (12 in 66, 2 in 67 see below)

2 1985-D 50c MS-67 (2 in 67 none higher, but I don't think the numbers were updated for my submission, to the 2 will double to 4, this seems good confused.gif)

NGC doesn't update their pop reports until Friday. The MS66 is probably a $6 coin and the MS67 are probably $40 coins. The PCGS pop is quite high on this date in MS67.

Well, I edited it after you replied Greg, but the first two cents were actually 86-Ds, not much different I know, but for accuracy. That nickel surprised me, I sent in what I thought was the nicest I had, had some neat toning from sitting in an envelope for 14 years, but I didn't think it would grade that high (of course I know little about grading Jeffersons). The Kennedys didn't surprise me as they were super coins, saved for 18 years, so I got what I expected. Maybe I should send in those other nickels! 893whatthe.gif Thanks for the info Greg, very helpful.

Yeah, Greg has helpful info... But he called FS Jeff collectors weenies!!!! Hmmm, let me go back and re-read his reply. Maybe this is a registry set collector bash or something... No, it looks like he is calling FS Jeff sets weenie sets.

Good thing I collect Proof Jeffersons or else I might take offense at that statement. Anyway nice score jtryka!

Thanks Carl! I was only hoping with this submission that I would get a coin or two worth enough to recover my grading costs, which it sounds like I did. Not bad considering I paid face value for all of them. As for the 86-D cents, I know they are pretty low grades, but they had some neat toning, so I thought what the heck. The nickel has some nice color too. I'll post some pictures when I get them back.

The pcgs pops say 4 66FS and zero 67FS. At first, I checked Overby's and Corso's collections and they didn't have any of the two 67FS's so I checked the pops.Here's my best 90-D, a MS64 5 stepper. I have a 6 stepper but it's a grade or two lower with too many nicks. I for one, will look forward to seeing your 67 FS 90-D.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Leo

Well Leo, your nickel looks nice, and given my lack of knowledge, I can't really say that mine would be much better. As a preview, I took some pictures of one of that nickel's sibling (I had 4, one is slabbed, one is in my Dansco Jefferson Album, and two are still in the original envelope, so these photos would be #3 in the rankings). I tried to get the toning on the obverse and the steps close up, so here they are.

Obverse

Reverse

Steps

This one pictured is a nice coin, but it has a few nicks which are less noticable in person (only one on the collar is really noticable to the naked eye). The steps have some weakness on the left side as well, though I am not sure the photo really captures it. So these are the reasons this guy stayed in the envelop. The one in the Dansco is all packed away, so no photos, but you'll have to trust me that it's nicer than this one.

Finally Tom, don't give me too much credit for this one, the only reason I sent it in was that the toning was pleasant, so I thought it would look good with the NGC slab! 893whatthe.gif I had honestly no clue it would grade like it did, I thought it might be a 65 or 66, so I guess that the old addage holds true here, it's better to be lucky than smart (or something like that).

You have a better coin then mine. Did you notice the cs spot on the reverse of my coin including the hit in the hair! The bloop in the steps seems to be common with these later dates. Very nice coin.

Leo