• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

show off?

39 posts in this topic

I've spent some time today browsing the registry and am shocked at the lack of pictures and descriptions, especially in some of the top ranking, award-winning sets. I was all geared up to be blown away and then... 0 pics / 0 descriptions. Heh.

So... link me to some of your best sets, that are photographed! Custom or competing, doesn't matter to me, I just wanna see some coins!

My Jeffersons are also in my Sig line. I think you will enjoy the main set which one an award for best presented last year.

Bobby, awesome coins. Thanks for sharing.

Lehigh96, I LOVE your 1942-P Wartime Nickel. I have a raw AU-ish set of wartime nickels, but definitely plan to collect a set of MS NGC-graded versions in the future.

nunfa0 - I spent the last hour reading the descriptions on your Silver Statehood quarters. Wow. Bravo. You've compiled a great little summary of history there that I thoroughly enjoyed paging through. Thank you. =)

I agree with Alan that it is disappointing to check a top set and find no pics or descriptions (even worse to see that its obscured). Even with my limited photo skills and equipment, I put a pic with every registry entry, especially my Morgan VAMs. I hope the pics of my TOP 100 and 1878 8 Tailfeather sets help other Morgan VAMmers in identifying their own coins.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I think I am the only Lib Nic registry with a picture of the coins!

Mike has a some picture too but that's about it.

OP

I started a thread about this several years ago. Basically I came to the conclusion that many of these top people are just collecting the plastic rather than the coin. Given that I predominantly collected Franklins I used the half dollar sets as an example. It is amazing how few of the top three registry sets in ALL of the half dollar sets have even ONE picture. Rather pathetic really. You figure that if people are proud of their sets they'd want to get at least some of their pride and joy coins imaged.

See my sig lines for links to some of my sets.

It is very dissapointing to have sets in the registery with no photo's. If they don't have photo's listed on their sets, I pass right on by. Numbers without the photo means very little to me.

I'll take a 65 I can see over a mystic 67.It's been said, well they might not have a camera or can't take good photo's or that someone just might criticize one's coins. I am sure some reasonable excuses exist but the one above seem quite lame. At least they could show the NGC photo which is quite distant and shows very little detail.

Mine are GSA's and appreciate the opportunity to share them with other members.

Chet

I started a thread about this several years ago. Basically I came to the conclusion that many of these top people are just collecting the plastic rather than the coin. Given that I predominantly collected Franklins I used the half dollar sets as an example. It is amazing how few of the top three registry sets in ALL of the half dollar sets have even ONE picture. Rather pathetic really. You figure that if people are proud of their sets they'd want to get at least some of their pride and joy coins imaged.

See my sig lines for links to some of my sets.

Well, I know for a fact that the #33 (and climbing) set has 100% pictures and descriptions ;)

I guess I don't have pics in my NGC registry sets. Hmm... I'll have to fix that. The same sets are registered ATS, though. Hope y'all don't mind looking there. ;)

Commems

1942 Proof Set

Oh no!!! The blue cool aid almost choked me!! Ha! I have sets over there too! My SMS sets, I wish Mark Jude would quit upgrading! That fiend!! Dastardly he is I tell you!! Anyhow, Sir Desk, those commems are incredible and that proof set, just delicious! I see some Cameo Prooflikeness on the quarter. Or am I wrong?

Glad you like the commems. My "about this set" comments pretty much sum up my view on those. The 42 quarter doesn't have any cameo. Note the contrast on the portrait is still strong. I shot it so that the field would be dark on the left and light on the right to bring out the overall reflectiveness. Same strategy on the nickels, although it worked better on the lower one.

Here's a link to my Morgans, not many there actually, but I recently redid the pictures. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know how to take pictures of Morgans because I have little practice. The limit of my practice has been on these coins. So, take a look, tell me what you like and especially, tell me what you don't like so I can make them better! For one, I don't matte out my own coin pictures. When I take them for someone else, I matte it out for them, but I'm too busy to bother with my own coins. Thanks in advance!

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=42674

Here's my NGC Barber Half Dollar Registry collection

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=3413

I really enjoyed that, thanks. Lots of wonderful coins there! 1898 S whew!

OP

I agree! (Please forgive my ignorance,) but what does the "Friend" on the insert mean?