• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you choose: half-price coins, or double your spending capacity?

16 posts in this topic

You can have one wish come true, either (1) the value and price of all collectable coins in existence drops by 50%, or (2) the amount of disposable income you spend on coins doubles (and you must spend the extra 100% on coins).

Wish do you choose? Remember, your competition doesn't get either of these wishes!

The two are exactly equal, if you are only thinking about the number of coins you can buy. However, taken in light of your coins being a percentage of your investing portfolio or net worth, having a sudden reduction of 50% means you loose wealth. Thus, I'll take the 2x the money to spend on coins.

The two are exactly equal, if you are only thinking about the number of coins you can buy. However, taken in light of your coins being a percentage of your investing portfolio or net worth, having a sudden reduction of 50% means you loose wealth. Thus, I'll take the 2x the money to spend on coins.

Agree 100%

Price and value goes down by 50 percent. In fact, my preference would be more along the lines of a 90 percent drop. Too many people are currently priced out of the hobby.

Since I'm not in it for the money anyway, I'd opt for the 50% reduction in prices and values. Doubling my disposable income would still keep many of the coins beyond my means.

Chris

You can have one wish come true, either (1) the value and price of all collectable coins in existence drops by 50%, or (2) the amount of disposable income you spend on coins doubles (and you must spend the extra 100% on coins).

Wish do you choose? Remember, your competition doesn't get either of these wishes!

I would pick the second option. The first option would mean the value of my collection would drop by half.

I would pick the second option. The first option would mean the value of my collection would drop by half.

What difference would that make? Since according to the OP others don't receive the same wish/benefit you would still be able to sell it for the same amount that you could now.

my disposible income doubles as then i can always get the coins for less with nego. power so not only cheaper prices but more money a win win situation

where as with coin prices dropping 50% across the boards then there would be great demand and all the good stuff would be sold then put at immediate higher prices and also no discounts and also once the coins dropped 50% many sellers would just put the coins away rather then sell them for 50% less

so again i rather my disposible income would double for coins as then as in any coin markets and even moreso today in this current market

CASH IS KING

What difference would that make? Since according to the OP others don't receive the same wish/benefit you would still be able to sell it for the same amount that you could now.

What if you were going to sell your collection to buy real-estate for example? If your collection's value dropped by half, you would only be able to buy half as much real-estate. If most of your net worth was tied up in your coin collection, your net worth would drop by almost half.

Perry, michael!

James said that the competition would not have either of these benefits.

Chris

oh yes

you are correct

duh my bad

when all else fails read the entire thread

sorry please ignore my post

Perry, michael!

James said that the competition would not have either of these benefits.

Chris

oh yes

you are correct

duh my bad

when all else fails read the entire thread

sorry please ignore my post

I don't want to ignore your post, michael. You always have insightful comments to add. What I would like to know, is what would be your opinion now?

Chris

I really see no difference. I guess that I would rather have the coins be cheaper (for me only), then I would feel less guilty about buying more and could purchase more.

I would feel, much worse, if I had MORE disposable income and spent it all on coins (which I know that I would do, anyway!!) lol

It's a psychological thing. I'm spending the same amount but getting MORE!

Half price for sure.

It would allow me to feel frugal and cost-effective while still buying a lot of coins I don't need. : )