• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

same coin, two different registry scores?

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious why some coins have two different registry points associated with them? If you look at this nickel, it has either a score of 183 or 255 depending on which set you're viewing. It's the same exact coin though, just in two different sets.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/CoinDetail.aspx?CollectibleID=1444171&PeopleSetID=126183

Anyone know why this is?

Thanks.

As a type collector I can tell you that a coin in the type registry will get a different score than it will in a date and mint set registry category. The reason is that NGC takes an average of the scores for the type coin while in the date and mint set, every coin has its own value.

Therefore you put an 1877 Indian cent in your type set, it will get the same number of points as you will get for a 1907. Conversely in the Indian cent set, you get the high point value associated with that key date.

I once put an EF-40 graded 1909-S-VDB into my type set because that was the only certified Wheat cent I had. I think it got 3 points or something like that.

My Sacagawea Goodacre Presentation is worth 59 points in my sacagawea set but worth 1752 in the Top 100 Modern Coin Registry. I thought a coin's points are based off the grade and mintage.. not where it is placed in the registry.

Guest Jerica
I'm curious why some coins have two different registry points associated with them? If you look at this nickel, it has either a score of 183 or 255 depending on which set you're viewing. It's the same exact coin though, just in two different sets.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/CoinDetail.aspx?CollectibleID=1444171&PeopleSetID=126183

Anyone know why this is?

Thanks.

Hi Alan Lastufka,

The reason why you have received two different scores for your 2006-S Jefferson Nickel is because one is in a Circulation Issue set and the other in a type set. Circulation Issue sets get separate scores from type sets. However, we are gathering member's opinions on whether or not to change the way the registry is set up in this manner. We have not yet come up with a conclusion but I will keep you posted. If you happen to receive different scores for the same coin in either a circulation issue set or a proof set then that is a mechanical error on our part and once we notice it or it is brought to our attention we will have the error fixed. However, in your case you have the same coin in a circulation issue set and in a type set and that is why they do not have the same score.

Guest Jerica
My Sacagawea Goodacre Presentation is worth 59 points in my sacagawea set but worth 1752 in the Top 100 Modern Coin Registry. I thought a coin's points are based off the grade and mintage.. not where it is placed in the registry.

Hi Kenneth,

Your points in both the Sacagawea Dollars, 2000-Date, MS and SMS set and the 100 Greatest U.S. Modern Coins set now contain the same amount of points for the 2000-P SAC$1 Goodacre Presentation coin.