• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YDB NOT VDB 1991 S LINCOLN PROOF COIN *DELETED*

6 posts in this topic

It appears that you have quite an interest in such matters...

I remember when I was a kid reading my trade rags about someone supposedly discovering a new doubled die cent (1972?) or a large date or whatever.

I like detail. I suppose that's why I'm so interested in early coinage die varieties and die states. Have you given this area any consideration? I recognize that it is far easier and less expensive to look at the newer stuff, but the old stuff can also be much fun.

No one has published anything (aside from Breen) on die varieties or states for Seated Dollars, 3-centers, 2-centers and many other series.

There is still uncharted territory!

EVP

YEP EVP,

I have given it thought. I figure that the older coins have been picked over so much, it would be hard to find a new variety. But the new ones, with so many coming out now, there must be many varieties out there. I would like to tell you what happened to the coin but I might get thrown off again for doing so.I was told never to mention such coin errors again. If we were to take a vote then maybe I could mention what happened to the coin. Could I be granted amnesty?

COINHOLEIO

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

EVP, those coins you refer to cost real money to buy. Only serious (key word here) collectors buy those coins. The coins that cornhole finds are minor polishing and die anomalies. That's why he can afford them.

Greg,

I bought a digital camera to take to the shows... I am thinking of doing die research on Seated Dollars and having it published in the Gob Journal. Keoj thinks that would be a great idea...

I wonder if people would allow me to take pictures of their coins?

EVP

I think most would allow pictures. As long as you didn't take up too much time and offered to credit the coin dealer in the book, I think they might like it.

You could also get a bunch of photos off the Heritage site.