• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ive noticed a lot less coins for sale on eBay

10 posts in this topic

not sure why, but im pretty sure there are a lot less raw and graded coins for sale lately.

anyone else noticing this ?

im talking about auctions not BINs

It seems like eBay is trying to compete with Amazon... and can't. They should stick with their unique auction format, and completely eliminate the "BIN" process.

But then again, what do I care? EBay permanently lost good sellers like me years ago with foolish, greedy and short-sighted policy changes. I have no use at all for them anymore.

Whenever I look, there seem to be the same coins re-listed over and over and over...

not sure why, but im pretty sure there are a lot less raw and graded coins for sale lately.

anyone else noticing this ?

im talking about auctions not BINs

fees and low prices.

Most items can be sold wholesale for the same or more before fees.

all most everything can be sold for the same or more when you factor in 9% fees.

Only way to make anything on eBay is to sell junk coins no dealer will touch (doctored or major issue coins) (or scams)

this is a self destructive cycle because the more scamers and junk on eBay the less buyers buy, hurting eBay and the sellers causing sellers to leave and eBay to up the fees.

Whenever I look, there seem to be the same coins re-listed over and over and over...

There are a lot of coins that have been there for a very long time. Sellers list the coins with ridiculous BINs, and so they never sell. These sellers are usually unwilling to budge with an offer, most likely because they themselves spent way too much on the coin and are now going to loose money.

Sellers need to be a bit more realistic with their BIN prices than they are.

Asking more than 2x the coins actual worth is counterproductive to them making any kind of profit when the coin doesn't sell.

I agree 100% there's a lot of greedy seller out there with the same junk. The coins I would be interesred in and will not buy because the seller, one in particular that sells Buffalo Nickels, juices the images some much your not even sure what your looking at!

Kamillion, I don’t have any quantitative evidence but I am active on E-bay and generally agree with your observation. I have notice a decline in the number of auction items with the modern graded coins I track. I don’t purchase raw coins on E-Bay so I can’t comment on that. Perhaps this might be a seasonal variation as we enter summer. I don’t know.

As a power seller on E-bay, sometimes auctions just do not work. Say you have a rare coin with a small collector base. If you list it at .99 cents and let it run the right people might not see it within the 10 day time period. Now that same coin can sit on ebay for 30 days with a buy it now and still sell at a reasonable price. A coin that is worth $50.00 might go for $26.00 in auction because the right person did not see it, but that same coin might sell with a $50.00 BIN price. Did one person get screwed over the next? No, not at all. Just the right person say a coin he liked at a price he liked. As a seller of musical gear, not everybody is always looking for what you have. So I like to list items with BIN's. 2 reasons.

1 People love to get things ASAP. This is the instant everything world. Why not E-bay also?

2. It protects me from losing an item in auction for a low price because the right people did not see it this week.

On the other hand... Seller Fee's rising are causing prices to go up across the board. Sellers are just adding those fee's into your purchases.