• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let’s not forget the “production soldiers.”

6 posts in this topic

Those who served in factories, offices, civil defense posts and in every nuance of the American nation.

InFebruary1942.jpg

[Excerpt from “National Gold” book, draft. Copyright 2011 Roger W. Burdette.]

Nice stuff. Most of the glory went to the men who did the fighting. The families left behind, trying to keep things together, deserve their cudo's also! (thumbs u

In a previous project I was working was co-located at Redstone. When I visited RSA I saw a small display in tribute to the women who worked at there during WWII. According to one plaque, there once was an active alumni group of women who worked there. I was told that no more than 10 of the women are still alive and when one passes, they have a moment of silence.

Redstone was also the home of a sizable male workforce who couldn't qualify for active service for physical or medical reasons. These men were the mechanics of the base. Many physically washed out of basic training but were given the class of Private in order to work at the base.

RSA has a very interesting history that misses the history books!

Scott

Mother worked in airplane factory in Cheyenne Wyoming. While dad served in Europe. She will be a young 88 in October of this year.

Workers at the United Air Lines Cheyenne Modification Center, in the state of Wyoming, helped to convert airplanes into fighters during World War II. People on the lines were reminded that:

The fighting plane you're working on TODAY may be over Berlin or Tokio NEXT WEEK!

thumb_80554b8c76.gif