• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tiny piece of crusty gold from today's show

20 posts in this topic

This little piece of gold sort of stuck out when looking at this one dealer's case. Most gold I saw was yellow, unoriginal stuff. This one caught my attention and I paid a premium for it. There seems to be a bit of luster around the rims and maybe a bit more than that on the reverse.

What do you think it would grade?

1849-OG1-XF45-Obverse_small.jpg1849-OG1-XF45-Reverse_small.jpg

what color is gold supposed to be besides yellow

There is a big difference between the bright shiny yellow gold of modern freshly minted pieces or dipped out "white gold" and a nice, original, crusty piece like this. This is the color that old gold is supposed to be. See also TomB's recent post of a Liberty, which has gorgeous original color.

I like it as EF-40, but would positively love it as VF-35. Spectacular coin, and if all circulated gold looked like that, we'd all be carrying some as pocket pieces!

superb eye appealling and original crusty coloration

most likely from a leather pouch

my grade xf-45+ and worth au50+ money because of the originality, great eye appeal and color

please send this to me

I have an 1849-O gold dollar in XF45 (NGC) which has an detailed level of strike which is extremely similar to your coin, FWIW. The obverse strike on this issue is often very soft. I believe that my dollar was graded (as yours should be) from the reverse detail of the coin and by wear, not strike. My 1949-O was graded by NGC recently and should be comparable.

I'm curious to know what Mark thinks.

By evaluating the wear pattern on the reverse, I would see a coin with choice+ XF (and maybe even AU50) wear with plenty of luster remaining around the coin. However, the obverse looks no better than VF. But, once again the wear in the fields looks choice XF+ with decent lust remaining....at least to me.

I'm no expert on these small gold coins and I can be a bit off here.