• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these coins worth anything?

16 posts in this topic

I'm a comic and comic art guy but a family member gave us these to sell. Are they worth anything? What is the value of each? Anyone interested is welcome to PM me.

There's two - here's the first:

closed.jpg

open.jpg

1884.jpg

and the second (I have three (3) of these):

closedcoins.jpg

coins.jpg

Thanks!

Those CC Morgans are nice and definitely valueable. the 1985 proof sets i would say are not as valueable. you can easily find a ballpark price for these coins by searching around ebay.

It looks like the quarter, dime and nickel might have the beginnings of some nice toning. What does the reverse look like? Do the other proof sets have any toning on them?

Chris

It's hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like the 1884-CC might grade MS64. Can we see the reverse? Try to take the photos from directly overhead. It's easier to judge the condition that way.

Chris

They are all 1985 sets. What is toning? They all look perfect to me. I'll take a picture of the back of one now.

Without going into too much detail, there are two basic types of toning. Natural toning (NT) can add a premium to some coins, whereas, artificial toning (AT) can render a coin almost worthless except for its face value.

There are many ways that a coin can tone naturally - in the original mint case like yours, from mint bags, older styles of albums, kraft envelopes, etc.

Coins that have been artificially toned can be produced using chemicals, gases, heat, etc.

Chris

The 1884-CC Morgan dollar is worth approximately $160-$210 while the 1985 proof set is about $3.

They are all 1985 sets. What is toning? They all look perfect to me. I'll take a picture of the back of one now.

Hey Dem.

Toning is what happens when a metal reacts to chemicals in its environment, and the color of the metal changes. The brown splashes you see on the back of the 1884-CC Morgan Dollar? That's an example of toning. This is what non-coin folk call "tarnish." Silver generally produces the most frequent and spectacular color differences, but copper can, as well. Gold, being very non-reactive, generally doesn't tone to the degree that copper and silver does, but there are exceptions to that rule. Cupro-nickel coins, such as in your proof sets, also tone, but generally not as easily or spectacularly as silver.

Sometimes, it is quite attractive, especially when the the entire color spectrum (called "rainbow toning") is visible on the metal. Other times, it can be dull, lifeless, black, dark brown, or hazy.

Your proof coins look like they might have some nice color along the rims. If they're not hazy (milky), they are more desirable.

Here's an example of toning that makes people go crazy:

111978.jpg.2125a0e6498d3712253fd6a7cf2ae06e.jpg

The 1884-CC Morgan dollar is worth approximately $160-$210 while the 1985 proof set is about $3.
Tom is spot on.

What would a dealer pay for an average uncirculated non NGC graded 1884 CC example with box and papers? I'm guessing about 150?