• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~ Removing Slab Sticker Residue The Safe Way ~

17 posts in this topic

So I just read a member ATS is using Breakfree, along with others mentioning GooGone, and WD40 which are all pretty harsh.

None of these are something I'd want to use on a slab and then store it in my SDB for long term storage with trace remnants of chemicals on a non air tight encapsulation.

Why not try something that will actually not harm a coin? hm

A drop of Mineral Oil and a paper towel will remove all sticker residue in an instant and not dull or hinder a NGC hologram.

You can digest Mineral Oil... Now who'd like to try a shot of Breakfree? :devil:

Yes, a drop or two of Goo-Gone right on the label, let it soak in, the label will almost get translucent, then should lift right off. Another drop on a clean cloth to wipe away any adhesive residue. (thumbs u

Goo-Gone is a refined Mineral Spirit

Peanut butter works well, too (seriously). However, I am a proponent of Goo Gone.

Chunky or Smooth hm;)

Peanut butter works really well for getting chewing gum off an automobile paint finish.

Peanut butter works well, too (seriously). However, I am a proponent of Goo Gone.

Chunky or Smooth hm;)

I'd imagine :) either one... but be warned, do not use "natural" peanut butter - the kind where the oil is separated from the mashed up peanuts. In that case, the peanuts don't have enough oil to do an effective job, but you can use the actual oil itself to remove glue. It's just... really... oily.

Broadstruck is correct - Mineral Oil is about the safest to use

and the least expensive. If you don't have Mineral Oil - try Olive Oil.

Works like a charm for me.

Goo Gone, WD-40, Lighter fuid, Breakfree, Mineral Oil they all work and they all have the same thing in common. The active ingredient is petroleum distillates. The oil soaks through the paper and acts as a solvent for the adhesive. Vegetable oils will work too but they tend to have higher molecular weights and work more slowly than the lighter petroleum fractions. Vegetable oils also have the problem they can oxidize and go rancid or even worse if traces are left behind they can polymerize leaving a sticky film that can't be remove short of abrasives.

So I just read a member ATS is using Breakfree, along with others mentioning GooGone, and WD40 which are all pretty harsh.

None of these are something I'd want to use on a slab and then store it in my SDB for long term storage with trace remnants of chemicals on a non air tight encapsulation.

Why not try something that will actually not harm a coin? hm

A drop of Mineral Oil and a paper towel will remove all sticker residue in an instant and not dull or hinder a NGC hologram.

You can digest Mineral Oil... Now who'd like to try a shot of Breakfree? :devil:

I use a soft cloth dampened with 90% rubbing alcohol. I've never damaged a modern slab as a result. If you press too hard on an old NGC "fattie" then the sticker may develop breaks, but this is due to the pressure and not the alcohol.