• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Population 10 Modern Commemorative Only 400 Points

27 posts in this topic

I own a 1992-D 50C Columbus Modern Commemorative. The Population is 10 in MS70. Would think a coin like this would be worth more than 400+ points. Own the 50C MS70 Baseball and Basketball and receive 775 points. Pop in MS70 is much higher than the Columbus. Could you consider adjusting the point allocation? tg64155@aol.com

The Gobrecht is mine, not Roadrunner's.

Frankly, I am a bit amazed at the focus over the points. Up until this very post, I haven't said one thing about the 3 measely points for my Gobrecht. I don't care if I get 3 or 1 million points. When I want to admire my collection, I don't ask myself, ``Gee, I wonder how many points this gets.''

My Gobrecht is lovely. For an EF45 coin, it is very high-end and also has pristine surfaces. It also has a lovely even rose patina.

I have coins of much higher point value. If anyone has more Gobrechts like mine, I'd happy to do a trade!

Linda's Daddy

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Gobrecht Dollars were not scored below PF-60, so those coins presently get only a token score. I will look into this and come up with some scores for the higher circulated grades. In the meantime you have an incentive to upgrade! grin.gif

NGC's Registry sucks in the circulated grades.

Take the grade VF.... that all you get is VF.... no VF-20, VF-25, VF-30, VF-35...... this can really matter on keys coins!

You have the option of AU-50, AU-53, AU-55, AU-58 when you input a coin BUT the Registry score tables only have a point value score for AU?

So a AU-50 gets as many points as a AU-58!

Works great of modern clad ..... hurts the classic coins.

Circulated Grades....... NGC Registry is half-assed at best.

Circulated Grades....... NGC Registry is half-assed at best.

Didn't you read Arch's thread in the water cooler? If you keep talking like that, you'll be tossed in the penalty box for the holidays and through Arch's vacation!

Spooly,

I agree with you that there's something amiss with the way NGC does its registry for the circ grades.

Imagine a Bust Dollar in AU58 getting the same score as the same date in AU50? For many coins that early, an AU58 is the finest available...

The current system is a great way to push someone away from the coin and just focus on the scoring. Of course, anyone who gets overly agitated over the lack of granularity in circ grade scoring is probably already too much emotionally invested in the registry game anyway...

EVP

Spooly's half heartedly pushing this issue!

If that was in reference to the last sentence of my previous post, then I should clarify by saying that I didn't assume that Spooly was overly caught up in the issue.

My comment was merely broadly directed at anyone who may get pissy over alleged inconsistencies in the scoring. (It's happened, ya know! Just look at what happened over the summer across the street! And, the constant whining and moaning by Fairlaneman!)

EVP

Is it my imagination or has progress on the Registry just about completely stopped? A few months ago they were rolling out sets pretty regularly, but unless I missed it there hasn't been much lately. Are all the sets up that're gonna be up?

Next up will be proof Seated Liberty Dimes. It should be done later today, if nothing urgent comes up.

Creating Registry sets is immensely time consuming, and it must be balanced against other work. We are planning additional sets, so we ask that you be patient. crazy.gif

I apologize for losing sight of your original question. I've adjusted the score for the 1992-D MS Columbus half.

Please remember that scoring issues should be posted on the Architect's standing thread "Hey check these scores." That's the clearinghouse for bringing our attention to scoring irregularities.

"You're not imagining things. The sets have slowed down, only ones I remember recently are some Seated stuff, but not much other than that."

*clears throat* ....................and what's wrong with "some seated stuff?".........

lolgrin.gif

While we are on the subject, I would like to make a comment on moderns. My Franklin set as an example. My set contains a 1960-P, MS65FBL. This coin generates 223 points, which in the context of the set, makes sense. However, the NGC population of this half dollar is 44 coins in MS65FBL with none higher.

My entire Kennedy Proof Set is only worth 737 point of which 90% are graded PF69UCAM and the remaining coins are PF68UCAM, except the SMS coins which are MS66CAM.

Anyhow enough on this subject.

David: Have you guys considered Morgan Year Sets. Years ago I built an uncirculated "O" set, followed later by a "P" set. These sets are about 28 coins and (I believe) very difficult in higher MS grades (especially the "O" set). However, the sets are not as daunting to many collectors as a complete Morgan Set would be. This might put Registry Morgan Sets within the reach of more collectors.

I started these sets because Capital Plastics offers (or did offer) Morgan year set holders. This was back when PCGS, followed by NGC, had recently started their slab certification services. Just a thought, because I had a great deal of satisfaction and a feeling of accomplishment in building these sets. tongue.gif

Your idea has merit, and we'll mull it over a bit and see what we can do.

Such sets won't be described as "year sets," since that term seems to be applied by most collectors to the complete issues of a particular date.