• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAUTION: HERITAGE USES PVC FLIPS

14 posts in this topic

I just received a package with two raw coins from the recently concluded CICF Heritage Auction. These were very expensive coins, a pair of very old shillings. I was horrified to see a green film on my 1652 Commonwealth shilling which I did not notice in the picture. I sniffed the flips to confirm, and sure enough there was the pernicious shower curtain smell. Needless to say, I was extremely unpleased. These coins instantly went into the acetone, and an email has been sent to Heritage.

For all of your information - any raw coins received from Heritage will be contaminated with PVC, and will need conservation before putting them into long term storage. Under absolutely no circumstance should the coins be left in the Heritage holder for more than 30 seconds after you receive them.

PVC containing holders are necessary for auction houses because they need to be able to seal raw coins in the holders for security reasons. I don't know if the previous owner bought the coins from Heritage and left them in the auction seal, but if they did that could explain this problem.

I'm a little surprised that Heritage didn't re-holder them, but perhaps the house owned them for a while and then offered them at auction without checking out the PVC problem.

PVC containing holders are necessary for auction houses because they need to be able to seal raw coins in the holders for security reasons. I don't know if the previous owner bought the coins from Heritage and left them in the auction seal, but if they did that could explain this problem.

In my :mad: experience, ALL the auction houses (including the one I do work for :o ), and it bleeps me to no end.

Bill, you are correct, that the sealing of flips is the reason PVC flips are used, but I have long argued that they can simply put the coins into airtites, and then seal them in. This is, for example, what David Hall Rare Coins did way back when.

As far as I'm concerned, if every PVC flip in existence disappeared from existence, our coin world would be much better off.

I remember, several years ago, reading a post on this forum regarding pvc and the then popularly used flips. I had just ordered about 500 and after much research, thew them all away. It hurt a little but probably saved a lot.

Jim

Just be glad you took them out and noticed, halting the PVC contamination

some collectors buy and hold - safety deposit box

keeping them in original auction container

in some instances, the results are not pretty

Ok, I admit, I had to look this up, I shall attempt to use this word today.

per·ni·cious

   /pərˈnɪʃəs/ Show Spelled[per-nish-uhs] Show IPA

–adjective

causing insidious harm or ruin; ruinous; injurious; hurtful: pernicious teachings; a pernicious lie.

deadly; fatal: a pernicious disease.

Obsolete . evil; wicked.

Edit: My Grand Pa used to say, "That's one of them $5 words"

PVC containing holders are necessary for auction houses because they need to be able to seal raw coins in the holders for security reasons.

Saflips are made of Kodar which is a soft Mylar and they are heat sealable and are safe for long term coin storage.

i would have immediately returned the coins as pvc damaged and asked for your money back

which they would have given to you

Luckily, a quick bath in acetone cured the problem. I would have hated to have to return these coins, as they are both fantastic, original, well struck, well centered, full flan shillings from 1555 and 1652, and both types are veryhard to find in this condition.

I understand auction houses needing to be able to maintain security, but there are so many ways to do it without using PVC. The coins came in a flip which was inside another flip, which was single stapled to a cardboard holder. Heritage could just as easily use Mylar, and double staple it to prevent opening the flip. No heat sealing required. The idea that a hazardous material is the only way to maintain security is complete and utter &^%$#$%^

I'm fairly sure all the major auction houses still use PVC flips, not just Heritage.

One reason they use the PVC flips is because of all the handling they receive during auction viewing. The stiffer safeflips have a tendency to split allowing the coin to fall out. The softer more flexible PVC flips can withstand the rough treatment better.

i would have immediately returned the coins as pvc damaged and asked for your money back

which they would have given to you

Luckily, a quick bath in acetone cured the problem. I would have hated to have to return these coins, as they are both fantastic, original, well struck, well centered, full flan shillings from 1555 and 1652, and both types are veryhard to find in this condition.

I understand auction houses needing to be able to maintain security, but there are so many ways to do it without using PVC. The coins came in a flip which was inside another flip, which was single stapled to a cardboard holder. Heritage could just as easily use Mylar, and double staple it to prevent opening the flip. No heat sealing required. The idea that a hazardous material is the only way to maintain security is complete and utter &^%$#$%^

thank god you realized this and the coins are not harmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet many dont realize this and put them away and then many coins get ruined

I found this fact about PVC flips out the hard way, several years ago fom Heritage. It certainly does not hurt to warn collectors about this periodically to prevent damage to otherwise nice silver coins. Perniciously perfidious treatment of coins!

PVC containing holders are necessary for auction houses because they need to be able to seal raw coins in the holders for security reasons.

Saflips are made of Kodar which is a soft Mylar and they are heat sealable and are safe for long term coin storage.

I had the same thought. I have seen numerous heat sealing devices for Mylar flips. The cost difference should be minimal.