• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1908-S, test your skills, sent to NGC

24 posts in this topic

Here is a 1908-S Indian Head sent I just sent to NGC via the Early Bird service. Let's see if you can guess the grade, and we'll compare after it gets back. 08a.jpg08b.jpg

i hope that green looking spot on the cheek is not PVC residue, also i am not familiar with grading anything other than silver dollars really, but i will go with MS63

The PVC on her cheek will result in a no grade bodybag. They will not put a PVC contaminated coin in a details holder either, I don't believe. Luckily, if it hasn't already caused damage, PVC is an easy problem to conserve.

If the PVC is removed and there is no damage, I could see this going 64. The color is apparently full Red.

I don't have the coin in front of me(on it's way to NGC), but I'd say yes, James. If it comes back, I'll send it via the NCS->NGC route.

there are a few grading results that would not totally surprise me

AU58 - I think I possibly see some rub on the eyebrow

UNC details - recolored - I think I see some pink on reverse

raw, PVC - not sure what is on the cheek

MS63 or MS64

whatever is on the cheek is distracting enough in a prime focal area to drop the coin at least a point - it could be stuck on paper remnant, tape residue, lint, PVC

a coin like this, that has drastic increase in value from AU58 up to MS65

makes buying price and submission condition very important

I don't have the coin in front of me(on it's way to NGC), but I'd say yes, James. If it comes back, I'll send it via the NCS->NGC route.

You might be able to call NGC and ammend your order to have NCS take a look at that green so you are not paying shipping twice.

You might be able to call NGC and ammend your order to have NCS take a look at that green so you are not paying shipping twice.

Thank you, Relic! I called NGC and they said I could do that! Whew! Now, I guess, what's the grade minus the spot?

MS63 RD - I don't think the spot is PVC, but I would be cautious. I would submit it to NCS regardless.

On a second glance, I predict that it will be body-bagged for PVC damage. If NCS is able to successfully conserve the coin, then I'll stick with MS63 RD.