• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noticed someting odd on this quarter...
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Whats going on with the dates under the word Jamestown? It says 1607-2007 but the quarter was minted in 2000. Was the US Mint predicting the future or just an early release for the Quad?

-Chris#2

2000-S-SILVER-25c-VIRGINIA.jpg

Edited by Chris1976

They had a really big celebration back in 1907. I guess they were just promoting the next one coming up in 2007.

The states had a lot of leeway in picking designs.

In 2007, Jamestown, the first permanent settlement in the United States, will celebrate its 400th anniversary. To commemorate this event, the new quarter design includes the word, “QUADRICENTENNIAL.”

In 2007, Jamestown, the first permanent settlement in the United States, will celebrate its 400th anniversary. To commemorate this event, the new quarter design includes the word, “QUADRICENTENNIAL.”

correct, just seemed strange that they would put that on a quarter 7 years early though.

-Chris#2

Could have been worse. They could have put "QUADROTRITICALE" on the coin.....

Virginia had always been "frugal" when I was growing up in the DC Metro area. I remember when the Capitol Beltway (I-495) was being constructed. Unlike Maryland, Virginia didn't want to spend the money for a third lane on their 25-mile stretch. It was always a bottleneck if you had to travel into Virginia from Maryland during rush hour. Ten years later, when they realized it would be necessary to add two more lanes, it costed Virginia more for those two additional lanes than it did, originally, to build the entire 52-miles in both Maryland and Virginia.

Fast forward to the year 2000 and the VA SQ. I guess they're still cheap!

Chris

VA sent in a design that if approved would provide them with seven years of free national advertising for their quadricentennial celebrations. In my opinion it should have been rejected out of hand for that reason. Naturally it was approved.

I was on the Indiana committee to select the design and our choice was ignored.

We picked George Rogers Clark (carrying a gun over his head) wading through

the icy water to defeat the British at Vincennes. The Governor's representative

was at the meeting and when she saw the drawing in question exclaimed "But

he's carrying a gun!" We all knew that it was dead in the water after that.

The governor then picked a motif honoring racing but the rules said that private

firms could not be honored and that was exactly the case with the Indianapolis

Motor Speedway (the Indy 500). This inconvenient fact was pointed out to the

Mint but nothing happened.

It gets better. When the ceremony was held launching the new Indiana quarter,

the ceremony was held at the Motor Speedway with the Governor, the Speedway

owner, and Mint officials on the platform. The high school student who designed

the motif had to sit in the stands along with the committee.

VA sent in a design that if approved would provide them with seven years of free national advertising for their quadricentennial celebrations. In my opinion it should have been rejected out of hand for that reason. Naturally it was approved.

Did they have any ceremony in 2007? I must have missed it.

Could have been worse. They could have put "QUADROTRITICALE" on the coin.....

Got me on that one Capt. :blush: Had to look that up...

Did they have any ceremony in 2007? I must have missed it.

Apparently they did, centered around the Jamestown area. The state and and Jamestown quadricentennial commission seemed to have been rather mild. Most of the push for the celebrations seems to have come from a couple of "dedicated" Christian organizations that were trying to convertit into a celebration of 400 years of Christianity in America. Ionly find a little from the Jamestown or state people on the net but a lot of references from the Christian groups.

On 4/25/2011 at 6:48 PM, Chris1976 said:

Whats going on with the dates under the word Jamestown? It says 1607-2007 but the quarter was minted in 2000. Was the US Mint predicting the future or just an early release for the Quad?

-Chris#2

2000-S-SILVER-25c-VIRGINIA.jpg

They are all like that...that is when the Romanian Republic and Dominican Republic and EVERYBODY REPUBLIC signed treaty to begin unification of the world...us and China are last 2 countries to make the transition...I suggest u start start doin research FAST and protect ur rare coins...they are what buys us our freedom...Trump gave Israel back to the Muslims...as biblically written for the end of times...we are all bein heavily monitored so have been communicatin in places like Reddit and quora instead...its government takeover and the truth behind the "coin shortage"...coins buy our freedom from the Muslims...families are desperate for coins...I live alone so have been collectin as many as I can to at least try to save the children...u can't cause alarm...everything is bein done quietly to avoid detection to give folks more time to keep tryin to find the coins they need...we are not the United States nomore...we are the America Republic...those of us with coins are gonna be shipped overseas...dunno where 4 sure but MY best guess would be Liberia since I happen to have an uncirculated 5 dollar Abraham Lincoln silver coin in my possession...google has removed all info on it after discoverin I have it...it is worth thousands of dollars...dunno how many lives that is...Liberia means land of the free...we are buyin our freedom...that is the best I can tell you ...but it's probably safest to communicate thru email...they are already here amongst us have killed folks already...includin MY entire family...they tortured my mama for months b4 slashin her throat and sewin her eyes shut...I have pics and videos...so u must NOT attract attention to urself

I know exactly what it is...Iis...I was able to research it b4 Google removed all information bout it so I do know that it is worth money...although that AINT MY interest in it at all...same with all of the other strange and different coins I've been comin across quite a bit lately...and most of our coin shops here in the states were robbed and mail packages missin that had rare coins or rare money inside...and I am aware the silver was STOLEN as well...so as I said...I am aware of Republic of Liberia coin and it's background...as well as the recent death of a leader...I do believe the brothers and sisters were listed as folks to contact instead of his widow and son?? Does nobody else find that odd?? I myself find it rather odd that I would even know ANY leaders of a foreign country since I myself have NEVER left my own country and aint even gotta passport. Don't u find that rather odd as well?? Just sayin

Chris at this point in time please step away from the keyboard.  Take a deep breath.  Collect your thoughts.  Then please restate what you are saying in a way we will understand.  Clearly you are passionate about what you are trying to ask or tell us and I am curious. 

Unintelligible ramblings culminating in the sentencing at the Hague of Charles Taylor to 50 years for war crimes committed in Liberia. 

Countries that "celebrate everybody else's history" are simply trying to survive on the revenue streams generated by coinage.  Same reason why so many Liberian flags grace the sterns of ocean-going vessels.