• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charles I hammered coin found this easter weekend

16 posts in this topic

Hi all .. happy easter .. been out this weekend with the detector (good video to follow)

and i hit this hammered coin .. i have looked through coincraft book and I cannot find an exact match can anyone help .. Norths book will probably be a better ID guide but i dont have one at the moment.

I am still not sure if it is a Penny or a Half groat as it is flat in the area where the second I would be

the size of the coin is 14mm x 13mm

If it is the penny it is different to all the ones i can find listed

Obverse legend :CAROLUS . I .D.G:M:B:F:ET.H:REX Mint mark Lis with dots on eather side

newcastle693.jpg

There are no pennys listed with I after carolus

And no Tower mints ones seem to be listed with a beaded inner border and line

Reverse Legend : IUSTITA.THRONUM.FIRMA Mint mark Lis with dots on eather side

newcastle694.jpg

Wow! What would the date range be on that one? Also, where did you find it?

I can do better than that for you .. you can watch the video of me finding it :)

Charles I ruled in the mid 1600's, until Cromwell and his gang lopped his head off.

Hi mate .. 1625 - 1649

Charles I ruled in the mid 1600's, until Cromwell and his gang lopped his head off.

Boy that's even worse than the rulers do to you ATS when you get out of line. :grin:

I can do better than that for you .. you can watch the video of me finding it :)

Just watched it. Very nice. Your descriptions of these artifacts are fascinating, too. (thumbs u

Fantastic collection of bits and bobs there Dooly, most amazing was the fuse you unearthed.

I can NEVER find one of those when I need it...:grin: