• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan 1899-0 came back RESIDUE. Worth Conservation?

10 posts in this topic

Total NEWB.....had this 1899-O and sent to NGC for grading. It came back marked RESIDUE and had a sticker (photos are below). I'm hoping for some helpful opinions on grade? Send for Conservation? I know the pics aren't great. I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Mark

Mark Morgan1899OObverse.jpgMorgan1899OReverse.jpgMorgan1899OReverse2.jpgMorganMessage.jpg

to post a pic, use the expanded version and the top 3rd from left is a rectanglw with 2 circles in it - that is the pic icon

hit it and put in your copied link

Morgan1899OObverse2.jpg

is the line over the face tape residue?

or is there something else that you did not notice when submitting

did you soak in acetone before submission?

Thanks E1...I'll try that next time. If it works, I owe you one. The line on the face (looks worse in the photos) is actually on the coin. It looks like a bag mark (maybe?). Didn't soak in acetone. I submitted a lot of coins so I wasn't paying close enough attention when I submitted.....I know....NEWB. I'm learning though (I hope).

Geeze, Mark, I hate to say it, but that surface almost looks "plated." I'm going off all your links. The coin is a "VAM" (notice the cracks along the letters on the reverse). NCS evidently thinks they can help it. Whether the cost would be prohibitive, of course, would be up to you. FWIW, IMHO, they know what they're doing.

Look, good luck.

I see them Kurt. Is there a known VAM for this cracking? I'll go look online now. My guess is that the "plated" effect is more my camera-work (and flash) than anything else. The coin does look good in-hand......If ya'll think that this might grade MS-66 or the VAM turns out to be rare, I'll send it in. Otherwise, it joins its brethren in the safe. Thanks.