• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what series is it really hard to find monster toned coins? in proof? ms?

29 posts in this topic

what usa coin series is it really difficult to find greatly toned to monster toned coins??

in proof?

business strike?

michael

1) Any clad coin.

2) Any gold coin.

3) Peace dollars.

Those are the top 3 off my head. I didn't include NCLT.

Michael,

Most of the toned Barber coinage is just plain ugly, so I'd say it's hard to find attractively toned Barber coins. Add Liberty & Shield Nickels while you're at it. IMO, attractively toned SLQs are also scarce.

trime

i totally agree with you and also they are really super undervalued coins as no one have ever heard of them let alone seen one

michael

yes yes thumbsup2.gif

gold coins and peace dollars are hard to get nicely toned

with the gold being well gold they do not tone but you will get a precious few and i have seen three and one dollar gold and saints that have beautiful toning a kind of lilac blue color from an improper alloy mixture

and if combined with technical gem grade and great lustre these coins have amazing eye appeal

michael

yes!! barber coinage especially so mintstate coins are hard to get grestly toned with exceptional eye appeal evenmoreso with lib nicks

really difficult and shield nicks forget about it!!

michael

Liberty nickels are unbelievably hard to find with great toning. For that matter, shields are too. You see a little more nicely toned buffs and Jeffs - I think because of the storage for their times in history.

Hoot

It makes more sense to ask which series has the MOST monster toned coins.

1) Morgans laugh.gif

Funny, I see more and more clads with nice tone. Some are just subtle AT but I'm seeing a lot of Dansco toned clads lately. But then since clads are only 40 years old I wouldn't expect many.

Gold, being a non-reactive metal, won't do much. I've seen some real wild $10 Indians with orange toning occationally. Usually, the late dates (26 or 32) and the mid-Philly dates (11,12,13,15). Occationally, you'll see some "blueish" cast ones. Some dealer over at PCGS said these were "AT" but I'm not sure how that's done...I don't really believe that. I've seen some real 1908-S "butt-kickers" that'll blow you away. Jay Parrino had one of these some years ago.

There are a LOT of proof Barbers with nice tone. I'm not so sure about MS. SQL's are scarce this way also

Jeff's and Buff's are easier to find. BUT if you take away the 1913-P Type 1 Buffs then there aren't all that many. I see a LOT more Jeffs and Rooseys

jom

buffs especially the satin proof 36 is a really rare coin with great toning in many colors

the usual blue lilac purple yellow golden type colors on buffs are nice sometimes really nice but are all too common

michael

Gold, being a non-reactive metal, won't do much. I've seen some real wild $10 Indians with orange toning occationally. Usually, the late dates (26 or 32) and the mid-Philly dates (11,12,13,15). Occationally, you'll see some "blueish" cast ones. Some dealer over at PCGS said these were "AT" but I'm not sure how that's done...I don't really believe that. I've seen some real 1908-S "butt-kickers" that'll blow you away. Jay Parrino had one of these some years ago.

There are a LOT of proof Barbers with nice tone. I'm not so sure about MS. SQL's are scarce this way also

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

jom an esxcellent post!! sometimes you see a gold coin that has like an orangey lilac sky bluish cast to it and if it has a certain "look" to it with really great lustre they are usually improper alloy coins

i have seen some and most all in pcgs holders too they are really good looking eye appealing coins most just do not understand them though

for example i know a dealer that goes to ALL THE shows and auctions he is on the road more often than not AND i asked him about the one dollar gold pieces and he says he usually sees maybe one or two a year with this type of improper alloy mixture "toning" and it is for me really beautiful

i just saw an older green tag pcgs ms65 common date three dollar gold piece two weeks ago a collector showed me and the coin had monster lustre with this great toning from an improper alloy mixture and it was in the centers of the coin both sides with the really deep orangey copper along the sides it was superb and of course usually on gold coins weith this improper alloy mixture there is much deep orangy copper with this lilac blue mixture of coloring too it has a certain look only the human eye can see

there was one gold coin in the heritage sale the last year or so that had this coloring apwrfect example but not in the right places splotchy but it illistrates what i am talking about here

when i get home i am going to tell you what auction it was in and you can go look on the heritage web site

]

the coin was a saint a rarer date and they even put it on the cover a really rare sait so no permium

i guess for me you either absolutely hate it or love it no inbetween

many collectors and dealers have never seen such a thing and so so not know it exists or understand it hence no demand

if a book ever came out and collectors got educated it would bring a big permium so to speak unless the gold coin was so rare that it was already worth thousands then not so much of a premium once you start gwetting gold coins 5k -7k and more iu think there really is no premium

the problem with the gold coins is if a coin has this toning and has not been worn down the coin looks best and you can really see it good on really choice and gem gold coins and with these coins they are already pricey so hence combined with the scarcity of these coins and many not even knowing or understanding this toning and the alreasy higher price of gem gold coins usually no premiums

jom also you are right lots of really nice proof barbers with great toning but try to find an ms let alone gem ms barber with great really monster toning and these coins are rare birds and totally undervalued

michael

This is the nicest toned Barber half I have ever seen. I have never owned this coin, and I don’t know who owns it now. I just happened to see it posted on the web somewhere a while ago and thought it was so beautiful that I saved the pic’s of it.

447317-coinimage.jpg447319-coinimage2.jpg

John

hoot you hit the nail on the head go try to find some monster toned lib nicks and then in superb technical grade

they are out there but really REALLY UNCOMMON

TO ALMOST RARE

combine that with for the proofs deep mirrors and cameo and little to no spots and you gots a really rare coin

especially with monster carnival colors

usually you see 1910 with this but many are just not overall good looking coins or with really monster colors

even the so called common colored proof date 1910 to get one that is cameoed superb gem proof monster eye appeal and monster colors even great colors is a really rare bird

michael

Michael,

I picked up an 1899 Lib Nick in MS 66 at the Heritage Signature Sale of Sept. 02. A board member turned me onto the coin, & I guess everyone had already spent their $, because I got it for type price. It has attractive apricot toning.

It's a 6 because it has a few soft stars (you need a full strike for a 7) & a soft corn. Not a mark on it. I'd post an image if I could. It's a beautiful coin. fairly scarce, and I didn't have to sell a family member to buy it.

neat coin and rare as a non proof with color like thst elcon

i would like to see a photo of that coin

i hope you can get a photo of it

michael

Michael:

Here's a pic of a recent 1912 Eagle sold at the Heritage Signature Sale at Portland. It was in an old green label PCGS holder MS63. I realize that Heritage's pictures aren't the best but you can just tell this was a beauty. An orangish centered color...I wish I had seen it in person. I probably would have bid on it. Lot 6343

1912.jpg

laugh.gif

jom

wow the eye appeal is great on that 1912 indian eagle

michael

the color and original surfaces are fantastic

Yes, I could almost "imagine" what it looked like. I would, however, need to actually SEE the coin to bid on it. I almost did anyway....even with the crappy picture. I'm not sure if I would have won but I was thinking about bidding higher than what it ended up at....roughly.

Oh well...

jom

I've had trouble finding a monster-toned Sacagwea dollar! 27_laughing.gif

James

I placed a Sac on top of my wood stove a couple of months ago to see what it would do. No monster colors. It just turned sort of an ash grey. No, I didn't put it "in" the stove, just on top. Maybe I should have put it in a potato first... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif