• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fact or fiction? When buying a new coin related book….

23 posts in this topic

…do collectors want the best facts available, or a “good read” even if it’s not entirely accurate

I'd prefer the facts, first, then a good read. If the author can't come up with something to keep the reader's interest, then they should write fiction where they can invent anything they want.

A good example where the the author presented the facts fairly well, but was unable to make it a good read is, The Crime of 1873: The Comstock Connection. It was certainly loaded with factual information, but the way the author arranged his narrative with actual documents and photos made it pretty boring.

Chris

…do collectors want the best facts available, or a “good read” even if it’s not entirely accurate

Just the facts, ma'am.

The "good read" part belongs in the book's preface, introduction, and perhaps as introductory material at the start of each chapter.

Incidentally, the OP asks a terrific question. I am confronted by this exact dichotomy constantly as I catalog numismatic material. Having descriptions that flow, are readable, and hopefully that can still resonate with humor is very important to me, in how I like to present material. But, cold hard facts need to be identifiable as such.

For example, "population" of coins at certain grades is a cold hard fact, but if the population for a particular coin is 10,000 in MS-63 with 75,000 graded higher, then I choose not to present such information. On the other hand, there are only so many ways one can describe how blast-white a thousand silver dollars are before the reading becomes monotonous. This is when humor can enliven the situation and lead to a better auction catalog.

Incidentally, the OP asks a terrific question. I am confronted by this exact dichotomy constantly as I catalog numismatic material. Having descriptions that flow, are readable, and hopefully that can still resonate with humor is very important to me, in how I like to present material. But, cold hard facts need to be identifiable as such.

For example, "population" of coins at certain grades is a cold hard fact, but if the population for a particular coin is 10,000 in MS-63 with 75,000 graded higher, then I choose not to present such information. On the other hand, there are only so many ways one can describe how blast-white a thousand silver dollars are before the reading becomes monotonous. This is when humor can enliven the situation and lead to a better auction catalog.

I've always enjoyed your descriptions, James, so please don't change your style. Although, I will admit that it is hard once in a while to identify yours from some of the other writers. Are they starting to copy your style?

Chris

I think the Holy Grail of book writing would be giving the reader a good read without realizing at first that it is also the best facts available. The first time through the book will be for enjoyment and casual enlightenment, while subsequent trips to the book will be for its factual content.

I think it depends on the type of coin book. I’ve read a few very dry diagnostic type books that were largely facts and rightfully so; but I’ve also read a couple of collecter’s experience type of books that wouldn’t work had they been written with just the facts.

Its hard to make Overton into a story. Something like that, I prefer an encylopedic approach - just the facts.

But for something that can be spun into a story, I'd prefer at least some narrative structure. One of the best books I read recently was "Too Big to Fail" by Andrew Sorkin, about the recent financial mess on Wall Street. It was loaded with facts and details, but it was woven into a well told story so good that I couldn't put it down.

I will admit that it is hard once in a while to identify yours from some of the other writers. Are they starting to copy your style?

Nope, those are probably auction catalogs where I wrote every single description lol !!!!

Actually, I do write 99% of them, but sometimes, what I've written gets censored.

OK, now back to the OP so as not to derail the thread!

I've been working on the "Fact's" for three years now. That's all I know to do. If I sell one of my books that anyone enjoy's, then I've been succesful. :)

Personally, I like books that give raw facts about the topic of interest. No matter if its a book about computers, cars, coins, etc. I bought the book to learn from.

Now if I wanted to read a story, then fact based fiction is what I prefer. But to each their own so to speak.

-Chris#2

The facts themselves will make the book a good read.

If you can combine the two you have the ideal situation. If you can't then facts are more important. A good book with plenty of factual information can still be used as a good reference book even if you can't sit down and actually READ it. A book that is a good read but the information isn't correct isn't more than simple entertainment, worthless after you have read it once, and you have to make sure you can keep the good information separate from the bad.

Quite true. For example, any dictionary is likely much closer to fact than fiction. Trying to read one from cover to cover, however.... that's a different story.

Or as another more eclectic example, if you had to read through the St. Louis Greater Metropolitan Area Yellow Pages, you would acquire breathtaking knowledge of a number of facts (people's phone numbers), but undoubtedly pass out from sheer boredom after but a few minutes.

Of course, it's been said that Karen Carpenter's voice was so enjoyable that she could have sung the Los Angeles phone book to a melody and made a hit record, but that just demonstrates the importance of delivery.

Quite true. For example, any dictionary is likely much closer to fact than fiction. Trying to read one from cover to cover, however.... that's a different story.

It's not that bad. I read dictionaries and encyclopedias from cover to cover as a 9 year old for fun.

With regards to auction catalogs, which companies do you write for?

If you can combine the two you have the ideal situation. If you can't then facts are more important. A good book with plenty of factual information can still be used as a good reference book even if you can't sit down and actually READ it. A book that is a good read but the information isn't correct isn't more than simple entertainment, worthless after you have read it once, and you have to make sure you can keep the good information separate from the bad.

Yea, verily.

If you are a second Walter Breen who mixes fact with fancy, you will encourage generations of future collectors who keep repeating the same myths and impossible-to-prove "facts".

There is such a thing as getting too detailed. If you can organize the minutiae into tables, footnotes, or end notes or relagate them to the appendix, you will do your readers a huge favor. Getting bogged down with exceptions and other details in the text will ruin the narrative.