• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mixed results from a recent (2011 NYINC) submissions

15 posts in this topic

I submitted with a buddy a multiple-invoice batch to a major TPG. We got our grades yesterday, finally. I had 14 items, and 7 came back new. On average, I had more big-value slams than scores. These were all talers, or equivalent.

My buddy wasn't pleased either.

I have no images, and don't have time to post more details. Life beckons.

EVP

PS At the recent Baltimore show, I did acquire two gem pieces: late 17th century Austrian 1/2T and a late 18th century 1T from Bern. Yes, both 65's. Yay me!

My buddy wasn't pleased either.

Yeah, an expensive coin coming back "Mount Removed" and two other expensive coins coming back in AU grades when they are clearly UNC kind of hurts. Oh well, when they come back they can be reviewed.

And I can get pictures.

Too bad you didn't catch that one that was mounted as jewellery before you bought it or before you sent it off.

Pictures would be nice, though. (thumbs u

Andy

Too bad you didn't catch that one that was mounted as jewellery before you bought it or before you sent it off.

Pictures would be nice, though. (thumbs u

Andy

I suspect that the coin was not mounted, but rather just a ragged edge.

I'm quite intrigued by this cliff hanger thread.....sorry to hear it didn;t come out well overall but I would still love to hear about the whole submission. BTW - an 18th century MS-65 Bern taler sounds like quite an accomplishment.

Here is my portion of my results. I'm only giving the Dav #, the grade and my comment. Maybe someone can translate these to approximate retail values for me...

001 - Dav-1373, AU55. Graded FDC by the dealer and looking every bit of that! This one hurt big-time. :(

002 - Dav-1169, MS62. A modest score, since it's just not that expensive of a coin.

003 - Dav-1790, AU58. As expected.

004 - 1813 Freiburg 4F, MS63. As expected.

005 - Dav-1940, AU58. As expected.

006 - Dav-1953, MS63. Nice score.

007 - Dav-5656, MS62. Nice.

008 - Dav-7481, AU58. Rare, and about as expected.

009 - Dav-2107, AU58. Hurts; I paid a princely sum expecting better. :(

010 - Dav-9617, MS63. Nice.

011 - Dav-9721, MS61. Roughly as I expected.

012 - Dav-2878, MS62. I paid a princely sum for this, so I'm glad I got the grade.

013 - Dav-2608, MS64. Same as item 012.

014 - Dav-7663, AU55. Rare, but about as expected.

EVP

PS I'm also a light-side collector, specializing in Early, Seated and Trade dollars. Imagine if these were Early or Seated dollars? I'd need a heck of a lot more money!!!

2 out of 14 below what you expected? That's not so bad, I've seen lots of people do worse.

He got hammered on the expensive coins. One miss on those takes a lot of hits to make up.

Coin #1 that graded AU55 was really surprising. It was the nicest example of this coin I've ever seen.

Item 001 looks as nice as a high-grade MS Austrian or Swiss taler, but it's a scudo from Lucca. It is lightly toned, well-struck, mark-free and scuff-free. All in all, it is a real beauty. It called out to me, like a fair maiden lost in the woods with predators closing in.

:D

EVP

I once submitted five Dutch and Swiss gold ducats and they all came back in body bags tagged "BENT".

That was a big ouch.