• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone had any issues with ebay seller Macvanderstein?

67 posts in this topic

STL, I would have some friends or create some 'additional accounts' to bid on his stuff -- and then renege on the purchase.

Give him a taste of his own castor oil. When the guy is stuck with merchandise and finds his auctions getting screwed up, maybe he'll change his attitude.

Tell him if he doesn't like your false bidding (and winning and then non-paying), he can file a complaint with eBay.

This is the only way to deal with scum**** like that.

STL, I would have some friends or create some 'additional accounts' to bid on his stuff -- and then renege on the purchase.

Give him a taste of his own castor oil. When the guy is stuck with merchandise and finds his auctions getting screwed up, maybe he'll change his attitude.

Tell him if he doesn't like your false bidding (and winning and then non-paying), he can file a complaint with eBay.

This is the only way to deal with scum**** like that.

Violating Ebay rules because someone else does? I wouldn't recommend that as a way of dealing with the seller.

I would completely avoid him, instead. And report any of his violations to Ebay.

I think that's far too pointless of an act that would only bring trouble to my friends. I'm sure eBay would be able to quickly find their "real" accounts and punish them.

Look, I don't want to be unreasonable and do psycho crazy things here.

As it is in America, the only way justice would be served is if I had tons of money. I only have 673 official feedback on eBay (overwhelmingly positive, as I treat my customers how I'd like to be treated.) This guy has 73,000 feedback. He told me on the phone that he's a millionaire.

Would I file a lawsuit if someone was willing to take the case? I'd definitely think about it. But then, would filing a lawsuit like this make ME look just as bad? I don't know how many dealers/coin experts would just side with him because he's part of the club. At this point, because he called me, it's just my word vs. his word.

I wouldn't have my friends shank his tires (which is kind of similar to what you've suggested.) That's a bit too indirect, and a bit pointless to assume he'll "get it", and at that point I'm doing the same thing I'm angry at him for doing.

I think you're taking the right attitude. While I think you may very well have a contract, justice, remember, isn't that quick, and for just a simple matter like this to settle out, you're talking an easy four to six months, with any kind of discovery, against any kind of defense. I think you're doing the right thing, walking away from this. I'll tell you how guys like this go down, the lawyer gets a class certified. You see that, opt in for the free ride.

STL, I would have some friends or create some 'additional accounts' to bid on his stuff -- and then renege on the purchase. Give him a taste of his own castor oil. When the guy is stuck with merchandise and finds his auctions getting screwed up, maybe he'll change his attitude.Tell him if he doesn't like your false bidding (and winning and then non-paying), he can file a complaint with eBay.This is the only way to deal with scum**** like that.

Violating Ebay rules because someone else does? I wouldn't recommend that as a way of dealing with the seller. I would completely avoid him, instead. And report any of his violations to Ebay.

I don't either, Mark.....and if it was a 1-time thing or a dispute I'd probably let it slide.

But this guy is playing "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" and he really hurt STL on that coin. That really bugs me.

I'm disappointed in Ebay, too. A 1-time buyer who renegs, they'll go after with force. But a big seller...they let him slide.

Not fair.

I think that's far too pointless of an act that would only bring trouble to my friends. I'm sure eBay would be able to quickly find their "real" accounts and punish them. Look, I don't want to be unreasonable and do psycho crazy things here. As it is in America, the only way justice would be served is if I had tons of money. I only have 673 official feedback on eBay (overwhelmingly positive, as I treat my customers how I'd like to be treated.) This guy has 73,000 feedback. He told me on the phone that he's a millionaire.Would I file a lawsuit if someone was willing to take the case? I'd definitely think about it. But then, would filing a lawsuit like this make ME look just as bad? I don't know how many dealers/coin experts would just side with him because he's part of the club. At this point, because he called me, it's just my word vs. his word.I wouldn't have my friends shank his tires (which is kind of similar to what you've suggested.) That's a bit too indirect, and a bit pointless to assume he'll "get it", and at that point I'm doing the same thing I'm angry at him for doing.

Alert the Ebay Message Boards to him, report him to the relevant Coin/Numismatic organizations, buy another product from him THAT IS SUPER CHEAP (or better yet, have a friend do it) -- and leave VERY negative feedback on him.

He won't be able to erase negative comments, so buy another product from him that costs a few bucks.

Cheaper than getting a lawyer ! :grin:

He could have had friends buy cheap merchandise to puff up his positive reviews.

Look at all the negative comments:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=macvanderstein&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

Violating Ebay rules because someone else does? I wouldn't recommend that as a way of dealing with the seller. I would completely avoid him, instead. And report any of his violations to Ebay.

I don't either, Mark.....and if it was a 1-time thing or a dispute I'd probably let it slide.

But this guy is playing "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" and he really hurt STL on that coin. That really bugs me.

I'm disappointed in Ebay, too. A 1-time buyer who renegs, they'll go after with force. But a big seller...they let him slide.

Not fair.

Alert the Ebay Message Boards to him, report him to the relevant Coin/Numismatic organizations, buy another product from him THAT IS SUPER CHEAP (or better yet, have a friend do it) -- and leave VERY negative feedback on him.

He won't be able to erase negative comments, so buy another product from him that costs a few bucks.

Cheaper than getting a lawyer ! :grin:

So you get going on head games like that and where does it end? And what does it make of you in the end? I think you misunderstood, that was Mark's point.

So you get going on head games like that and where does it end? And what does it make of you in the end? I think you misunderstood, that was Mark's point.

That's not the point, it's about alerting other potential buyers that the guy is a liar, fraud, and cheat.

I'm in the financial sector and if I did what this guy is doing -- allocating winning trades to my account after the fact -- I'd be in jail.

That's not the point, it's about alerting other potential buyers that the guy is a liar, fraud, and cheat.

I'm in the financial sector and if I did what this guy is doing -- allocating winning trades to my account after the fact -- I'd be in jail.

I truly doubt that, unless you did it a few thousand times and have not made any campaign donations lately.

PS, could you tell us your eBay handle?

I'm pretty sure you'd receive a bonus. That seems to be the consistent treatment of such criminals.

No, that's just the impression given from a financially ignorant media who never took finance or economics courses in college but would like you to think that taking psychology, sociology, art history, etc., make them qualified to understand complex financial issues.

They have as much business opinionating on modern angioplasty techniques.

He had listed a 1965 Proof Dime on ebay. Only SMS were minted in 1965. I contacted the seller before shipment about if this was really a SMS dime. I got not response. He shipped a SMS 1965 dime instead. He said it was a error in listing. After some time I did get a refund. Watch out for this one.

I'm confused. Why did you try to buy a Proof 1965 dime when you knew beforehand that none existed, and then complain that it was not a Proof when it arrived? This was clearly a typo in his listing.

He had listed a 1965 Proof Dime on ebay. Only SMS were minted in 1965. I contacted the seller before shipment about if this was really a SMS dime. I got not response. He shipped a SMS 1965 dime instead. He said it was a error in listing. After some time I did get a refund. Watch out for this one.

I'm confused. Why did you try to buy a Proof 1965 dime when you knew beforehand that none existed, and then complain that it was not a Proof when it arrived? This was clearly a typo in his listing.

That is the holy grail of coin collecting, finding a coin with a mintage of zero.

All I am saying is don't blame the victim of the fraud. We were fooled because we had good faith that what he was doing was legitimate. I blame the seller, Ron Denis and Ebay for condoning this behavior. Ebay could have kicked him off, but they didn't and they won't even though he breaks their rules. After talking to him on the phone, I am convinced that he is arrogant and cheap. He said he has friends at Ebay and that he was going to call them. He acted like he knew everyone in the coin business. If he is a millionaire, why wouldn't he give me my $600 back? I still think what he did is illegal and further action could be warranted. How can you maintain a good reputation by cheating your customers?

I don't think eBay is condoning his behavior as much as protecting part of their income stream. eBay pretty much guarantees purchases for 30 days, if you can not tell it is a counterfeit in that time, you have no business buying it.

Where did this item end up?

On one of my first eBay screwings, I bought a raw gold dollar and sent it to ANACS who said it was a die struck copy. I told the seller and they said send back and they would refund. I did and they said they never got it. i lost coin and fees and could tell by how/when seller emailed me that they had gotten it.

He could have had friends buy cheap merchandise to puff up his positive reviews.

Look at all the negative comments:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=macvanderstein&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

Those comments say it all.

crummy seller

Kinda funny, The guy has 1800 coins up RIGHT NOW!!!

Please tell me E-Bay is gonna discipline him for any wrongdoing. That's like the Banker in the Beverly Hillbillies calling Jed Clampett on the carpet. Never gonna happen.

When someone does leave a negative feedback, they do so once then get the banhammer. All that can be done is alert others to the unethical behavior that occurs when something isn't right.

Kinda funny, The guy has 1800 coins up RIGHT NOW!!! Please tell me E-Bay is gonna discipline him for any wrongdoing. That's like the Banker in the Beverly Hillbillies calling Jed Clampett on the carpet. Never gonna happen. When someone does leave a negative feedback, they do so once then get the banhammer. All that can be done is alert others to the unethical behavior that occurs when something isn't right.

That's why it's important to get a Negative Review that points out he is defrauding and stealing. It's not like these are 1-on-1 problems involving payment, shipping, communication, etc.

That guy is a POS and is hurting the coin industry. He's a boiler-room operator like the guy in the "Wolf Of Wall Street" (who never worked on WS, BTW, I worked briefly alongside him and his cronies and it was on Long Island).

Look at the negative feedback you just linked us to. How much "alerting" do you want to do? If customers want to take a chance, they're going to ignore that negative feedback, and do it. No amount of "alerting" is going to prevent that.

There’s a little matter of a successful criminal prosecution before anything like that's going to happen.

Look at the negative feedback you just linked us to. How much "alerting" do you want to do? If customers want to take a chance, they're going to ignore that negative feedback, and do it. No amount of "alerting" is going to prevent that.

They pointed to individual flare-ups, I think the words SCAMMER or FRAUD or CHEAT need to be highlighted. JMHO.

There’s a little matter of a successful criminal prosecution before anything like that's going to happen.

Point noted !

They pointed to individual flare-ups, I think the words SCAMMER or FRAUD or CHEAT need to be highlighted. JMHO.....

"SCAMMER or FRAUD or CHEAT" are names and possibly not facts. Providing the latter is probaby more useful/effective.

Since this thread originally posted in April, 2011 and it is now January, 2014, it seems apparent that SleazeBay has no intention of doing anything about it.

Chris

What I find interesting are the number of people on here who are defending this con artist. It makes me think that Ron Denis is behind one of these screen names trying to salvage his sullied reputation. What other motivation would you have for defending a fraud and a cheat? If it was your money that had been lost, you'd be singing a different tune.

What I find interesting are the number of people on here who are defending this con artist. It makes me think that Ron Denis is behind one of these screen names trying to salvage his sullied reputation. What other motivation would you have for defending a fraud and a cheat? If it was your money that had been lost, you'd be singing a different tune.

I might not have read all of the posts, but I didn't see anyone defending the seller. If I missed it, please point it out to me. I did, however, see one or more posters pointing opining that if buyers don't know what they're doing, they shouldn't be taking risks. That's very different from defending unethical and/or rude sellers.

Even with the contents of your telephone conversation being heresay....

There are now apps that let you tape your phone calls. Very useful for business dealings.

Isn't that illegal in some sates, if the the other party isn't notified, in advance?

There are now apps that let you tape your phone calls. Very useful for business dealings.
Isn't that illegal in some sates, if the the other party isn't notified, in advance?

Many states are 1-party consent, so you're in the clear.

If it's a 2-party consent state, better to have the recording if it's something with Big $$$ at stake. If the other guy is engaged in illegal activity like fraud and you're only guilty of recording a phone conversation, I'd rather be in that situation than one where I have no proof at all, right ?

Many states are 1-party consent, so you're in the clear.

If it's a 2-party consent state, better to have the recording if it's something with Big $$$ at stake. If the other guy is engaged in illegal activity like fraud and you're only guilty of recording a phone conversation, I'd rather be in that situation than one where I have no proof at all, right ?

I would think that if you record illegally, whatever "proof" you obtain would amount to "no proof at all".