• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Photography by Thomas Bush Numismatics

6 posts in this topic

Currently, there are several people who offer quality photography of numismatic items. Each has his own style, services offered and price structure. The final image of any single coin can look quite different from one photographer to another and might include the capture of luster or color at the expense of depth of field focus, extra vibrancy from over sharpening, exquisite focus using significant quantities of light or the production of what can only be called glamour numismatic photography similar to the famous pinup girl works of Vargas. I attempt to produce images of coins that are well focused and that present the coin on my computer monitor with as much fidelity as possible to an in-hand inspection.

I offer various options for numismatic photography that include full slab images, square cropped images that retain the surrounding plastic holder and circular cropped images that allow the coin to “float” on the background of choice, which is typically a black or white background. Additionally, I offer to stitch the obverse and reverse images of a coin into a single image for easy display and evaluation. These images are provided to the client via email or CD as full size images that can be 2000x2000 pixels and over 5MB each as well as reduced size side-by-side images that can be used for display or presentation on the internet as 900x450 pixels and 600KB each. These large images are ideal for research, insurance and archive purposes. If there are custom needs then these can be discussed and most likely a fitting image can be produced. I typically shoot coins within one day of receipt in my insured facility and can generally ship the items back the next business day. Lastly, if a client desires to have his/her coins evaluated by CAC then a trip to CAC can be arranged by shipping the coins to me and then after photography I can ship them to CAC and CAC may be able to return the coins to the client. I am also available to give an analytical opinion on any coin(s), too. These services are offered at $10 per coin plus return shipping, exclusive of any costs associated with CAC submission. The $10 fee entitles the owner of the coin to a pair of large images (one obverse image and one reverse image) as well as a 900x450 pixel stitched image of the obverse and reverse side-by-side. An extra $2 fee per coin is applied if a full slab shot of both the obverse and reverse is requested. There is no charge for coins that I cannot image satisfactorily.

Qualities to look for in a numismatic photographer-

1) Does the photographer produce images that are consistent with the style desired or required by the client?

2) Is the photographer insured?

3) Does the turnaround time for the return of the coins and production of the images fit the desires of the client?

4) Is the cost of the service consistent with the value obtained?

Below are reduced quality and reduced size examples of various coins shot using different lighting conditions and backgrounds. Please send me a PM or email me at tbush@tbnumismatics.com if you have any questions or would like to send coins for image production.

Floating on white background-

708_TBWF1939DP68FB.jpg

Floating on black background-

708_TBBJ1881SP64R.jpg

Cropped with slab retained-

708_TBPH1943DP64.jpg

Reduced size 900x450 pixel stitched image-

TBSR2B1860P65.jpg

Link to full size cropped and stitched image.

above average clear photos tom!!

(thumbs u

the amazing photo is the wildly toned gem+ unc merc dime, 1850 cent and reverse morgan dollar and franklin........ i can see you taking photos of choice au and unc. coins that you are second to none in your photo skills

:cloud9: