• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin sighting in old movie

80 posts in this topic

I read about Rooster Cogburn paying the ferry man a gold dollar to take Mattie to the sheriff in Fort Smith, but that line of the book didn't make it into the movie ("True Grit", that is). :(

While watching Royal pains I saw a scene where a Washington quarter was used in a coin toss. Not having the ability to stop the scene I could not get a date but it looked to be silver.

change.jpg

Windtalkers (2002) starring Nicolas Cage as Sergeant Joe Enders. The WWII Marines are playing poker in a bivouac on Siapan when they show a pile of silver coins. I can only assume none are dated past the time frame of 1944. They looked authentic, the real deal along with the iconic Zippo lighter.

Note: The coins "ring" when they throw them into the pot. I've played a few hands on a spread out Army blanket, when dropped, a silver coin has a distinct sound.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When NGC was still in New Jersey, I received a call from an art director who was preparing for an off-Broadway revival of this show, and she wanted a photograph of a 1933 dime. I explained to her that there were no dimes with that date and said she could digitally alter a photo of another dime from the 1930s. She never called back.

Hey guys!

We are making a movie based around a "Moneytree." I nice drama surrounding the magic of a $2 bill. The director is an honors student at The Los Angeles Film School, and he will be directing this for his Thesis project. The writer is Sean Crouch, one of the lead writers for the TV Show "Num5ers" with David Krumholtz. Even $1 will help! At least check out our film teaser at the following link!

"Moneytree" film info & video!

In "Drag me to Hell" the main character's boyfriend is a coin collector and I want to say that they show some Standing Liberty Quarters. He sells his collection to help his girlfriend. Spoiler alert: It does not go well.

Also, a Peace Dollar was prominently featured in the last Batman movie.

I just watched "The Untouchables", strangely enough for the first time, and it's a movie well worth recommending.

Anyway, about 1:40 in, the guy in the white suit has to empty his pockets, and for a split second, we see in focus a Standing Liberty quarter, Mercury dime, and Walking Liberty half-dollar on the table as the camera pans back from a business card held up in the foreground.

The coins are fairly well worn, and too small on the screen to make out the dates (at least for me).

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The guy in the white suit was Frank Nitti, Capone's underboss. He didn't die as depicted in either the 1987 movie or the 1959-63 TV series. He actually committed suicide in 1943 when faced with a long prison sentence. He was found sitting against a chain-link fence in a railroad yard. I suppose that doesn't make for much drama.