• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA Chicago Medal

6 posts in this topic

I just thought I'd share this Medal from the ANA convention in Chicago in 1999. Being from Chicago, I couldn't resist it when I saw it at the ANA table last weekend in Portland, and for $15, I figure there are worse things I could have bought! And before you ask Tom, this is the larger medal, so it's about 2 3/8" in diameter (I need to remember to add a coin for size reference on these medals and tokens!).

medal1.jpg

medal2.jpg

Having had the pleasure of seeing this piece in person, it is quite an excellent depiction of "The Windy City." Congrats Jeff! wink.gif

Hoot

Nice medal, Jeff.

I have horrible memories of that show. I was there with two really good friends, and we were having a grand ole time when I ran out of money buying up superbly original ED's in the Heritage auction. Unfortunately, Heritage also had in subsequent sessions a huge run of thoroughly original ChVF to ChAU early half dimes, dimes and quarters.

I pleaded, whined and even threatened my friends to cough up the dough to buy them all up. I tried to force their paddles in the air, and one of them wanted to hit me. I knew they were rare as heck in those grades and with that much originality. But, they refused. One of them even went so far as to say to me that an 1804 dime was nothing compared to an 1804 quarter. (Yes, there was one of each at the sale.) He has since apologized to me for that horrible mistake.

What was so horrible was that all those superb coins went for well BELOW what I felt they were worth, and this was before the run-up in pricing of bust coinage!!!

frown.gif

EVP

It appears to be a bargain for only $15. I bought the ANA medal with Francis Scott Key on it from last year and they cost a fair amount. Nice design, by the way, for the Windy City.