• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

if you were (or are) a buffalo nickel collector, which book or books would......

7 posts in this topic

David Lange's book on Buffalo nickels for the series details, etc. and Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 by Roger Burdette (me) for the origin and design details. If you prefer more date/mint info, the Lange’s book would be your best purchase.

I collect and just love my Buffalo nickels. I have read a few books on them but my favorite one is by David W. Lange, "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" I have the 3rd Edition and it's great....I'm sure you'll enjoy this book.....Joe

...thanks for the recommendations, i appreciate it. do any of these books address

subjects such as markers for coins that may not have a date and because of this

would be nearly impossible to know whether or not the dateless coin is or is not

the rare 18 over 17 buff, for example? i may be asking for some great secrets

here but i still wonder. i live to learn. :popcorn:

I hope this helps, hp. According to QDB, their is a difference in the 1918 D and the 1918/7 D mintmark. The lower photo of the mintmark being the 1918/7 D and upper being the 1918 D. The position of the D mintmark is slightly to the right in the 1918/7 D compared to the nonerror coin. Someone better at photoshop could overlay them correctly, but not me. QDB's book is great,

Good luck.

Jim

1918Dtopvs1918_7Drevmintmark.jpg

I collect and just love my Buffalo nickels. I have read a few books on them but my favorite one is by David W. Lange, "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" I have the 3rd Edition and it's great....I'm sure you'll enjoy this book.....Joe

I think Joe knows for some strange reason /\ hm