• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protect Toned Coins by Destroying the Toned Coin Market

89 posts in this topic

CT has been around since 2002 or so, but the day care center is relatively new.

That long, eh? I still don't remember them. I guess I thought here and CU were enough places to post. I do remember a toned collectors forum but I don't know what happened to that... hm

It was put out of business by all the toned coins this guy made.

Actually, Coin Talk isn't bad. It's just heavily populated with collectors that are much closer to the entry level of this hobby. Therefore, it's much harder to convince them they are wrong even in the face of clear proof.

That was actully pretty funny Greg lol

Actually the TCCS (Toned Coin Collector Society) is supposed to be relaunched any time now with me as the Mod since we found a copy of the site on a server that was not infected with a VIRUS (thumbs u

Shane, when the TCCS site is relaunched, you should make a list of the names of those on CT who harrassed Paul and slandered you and bar them for life from the new TCCS.

By the way, as a mod, will you be like Arch or desertgem?

Chris

I'll be like myself....not sure I understand the question.....if you mean position wise I will moderate the foums but I may or may not be the site admin.

I haven't posted here or at CU a lot the last few years and I've never heard of CoinTalk (or at least can't remember anything about it). Is it a relatively new forum?

Seems like I registered there a couple of years ago, did a bunch of posts, then abandoned them. I don't remember exactly why, but without a doubt, none of these other places seem even remotely comparable to the NGC boards.

Shane, his question is will you be understanding and tolerant and allow dissenting opinion, like Arch, or will you be heavy-handed, overbearing, rude, and argumentative, like certain Cointalk moderators?

Shane, his question is will you be understanding and tolerant and allow dissenting opinion, like Arch, or will you be heavy-handed, overbearing, rude, and argumentative, like certain Cointalk moderators?

Thanks, Jason! I couldn't have said it better.

Chris

Let's just put it this way....he's already banned and you typed my name out in a way I didn't like so you are banned....anyone reading of yours and chris's bannings are....of course banned by default :devil:

Let's just put it this way....he's already banned and you typed my name out in a way I didn't like so you are banned....anyone reading of yours and chris's bannings are....of course banned by default :devil:

Hmm.... that's not Cointalk. You've graduated to a rarefied level only occupied by one other coin forum. Congratulations!

Are you going to set up a seperate forum for comics? :grin:

Paul,

Sorry to hear what happened on CT. Internet trolls can be vicious. Doug posted that the message sent to you only indicated a 30 day ban, so hopefully you can come back then.

Chris

I really don't think my banning had much to do with trolls but that is not important. As you stated, Doug has advised me that my ban is only a 30 day ban even though when I login it still indicates the ban is permanent. I believe Doug, but whether or not I return to Cointalk at that time is contingent upon a great many variables. I will not make the decision now. Rather, I will wait for the their response to my appeal to have the ban lifted and if it is not, reevaluate the whole situation when the 30 days have expired.

Paul

CT has been around since 2002 or so, but the day care center is relatively new.

That long, eh? I still don't remember them. I guess I thought here and CU were enough places to post. I do remember a toned collectors forum but I don't know what happened to that... hm

It was put out of business by all the toned coins this guy made.

Actually, Coin Talk isn't bad. It's just heavily populated with collectors that are much closer to the entry level of this hobby. Therefore, it's much harder to convince them they are wrong even in the face of clear proof.

That was actully pretty funny Greg lol

Actually the TCCS (Toned Coin Collector Society) is supposed to be relaunched any time now with me as the Mod since we found a copy of the site on a server that was not infected with a VIRUS (thumbs u

Shane, when the TCCS site is relaunched, you should make a list of the names of those on CT who harrassed Paul and slandered you and bar them for life from the new TCCS.

By the way, as a mod, will you be like Arch or desertgem?

Chris

I would like an invitation from you Shane.

Greg, I wouldn't recommend Paul to return after the bad judgment done by a "mod".

Also, when I'm done with my new site, My first rule will be that "Anyone who is even suspected of ATing Coins will automatically be banned".

Hmm.... that's not Cointalk. You've graduated to a rarefied level only occupied by one other coin forum. Congratulations!

lol! You guys are too funny. Jason, I just noticed your new title, that is awesome.

Are you going to set up a seperate forum for comics? :grin:

Banned!!!! :devil:

Actually I have been on a comic buying frenzy....almost picked up a GL #1 (Silver Age) last night but I bought my daughter a new laptop instead....I am a sucker for my kids :cloud9:

Banned by proxy...how will I ever explain that to my wife?

I really don't think my banning had much to do with trolls but that is not important. As you stated, Doug has advised me that my ban is only a 30 day ban even though when I login it still indicates the ban is permanent. I believe Doug, but whether or not I return to Cointalk at that time is contingent upon a great many variables. I will not make the decision now. Rather, I will wait for the their response to my appeal to have the ban lifted and if it is not, reevaluate the whole situation when the 30 days have expired.

Paul

I am sorry but I hope you never go back!!

Please start some of your never ending threads over here!! :grin:

Paul,

I am glad to hear that you stood up for what you believe in when others may have backed down. Sorry to hear you they banned you....

Just wanted to let you know that I have learned quite a bit with Photographing, Jefferson Nickels, and toning and things to look out for (and actually linked many threads that you have posted to my favorites bar).

Best of Luck!

-Shrek

I posted this thread last night before I was banned from Cointalk. When I got banned, I rashly posted the ban message in this thread. This thread was never meant to be a rally cry to save me or avenge me.

And while I appreciate the outpouring of support exhibited by many of you tonight, your actions probably did more to hurt my efforts to get re-instated at Cointalk than help. I just received an e-mail from Peter and it is evident that he believes that I instigated the little revolution that took place. I assured him that I had absolutely nothing to with it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't believe me and turns my ban into a permanent one.

For anyone who has not already been banned, I respectfully request that you stop trying to help me. I have made my appeal to Doug and Peter and they will make their decision.

Thank you!

Paul

There appeared to be some posters in that thread that don't have a clue about coin trends or how it effects the hobby, financially & socially. I suspect they are not seasoned enough to fully grasp these concepts. To have a login-in password and a key board suddenly makes them expert in the field.

I had to chuckle about about the comments made about Shane...this proves my point about some of them being clueless.

Here is my reward for standing up for Shane:

Screenshot2011-02-27at102024PM.png

If it is any consolation I was banned from the PCGS forums (the currency side) for talking about PMG and NGC too much. Again, I truly believe it is their loss and I never looked back once...

In fact I feel as though a weight has been lifted...okay, I won't go that far, but you get the idea...lol!

I'm thinking it's also my last time participating over at CT as well. Admins and mods have shown their true colors. If I do post, it will be to add my listings, nothing more! Even the threads started were removed as if they don't care about you Paul. They fear people are more on your side than the forum itself, and we are.

Sorry our support has hurt you Paul but you might just be better off without CT.

I noticed that they removed Dimefreak's thread with all of the nickels posted in Paul's honor. When did they do that?

I haven't been banned yet, nor have I asked to be banned, and I haven't stated that I will no longer participate over there. I'm playing my cards tight to the vest until I learn the outcome of Paul's appeal and whether or not he decides to (eventually) return.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that they didn't ban me since I implied on Dimefreak's thread that there were plenty of jackar$e$ over there. Naturally, they won't make it known if any others have been banned, so has anyone else gotten the heave-ho?

Chris

Had a feeling this would happen while I was reading the posts over there somewhat real-time. They should have shut down the new poster/troll/instigator before it got to the point of banning a respected member who adds to the forums knowledge base.

I noticed that they removed Dimefreak's thread with all of the nickels posted in Paul's honor. When did they do that?

I haven't been banned yet, nor have I asked to be banned, and I haven't stated that I will no longer participate over there. I'm playing my cards tight to the vest until I learn the outcome of Paul's appeal and whether or not he decides to (eventually) return.

Actually, I'm a little surprised that they didn't ban me since I implied on Dimefreak's thread that there were plenty of jackar$e$ over there. Naturally, they won't make it known if any others have been banned, so has anyone else gotten the heave-ho?

Chris

I am pretty sure they deleted that thread because of so many members falling on their swords for Paul..and plenty of negative comments about the mods....that's not something they would want folks ready. I posted a coin to that thread but did not fall on the sword as I knew that is not what Paul would want. I can provide valuable information over there to newer collectors whether the advice is taken or not so while it's not a perfect situation I am going to try to continue over there and I hope others will reconsider and do the same.

Chris

I am pretty sure they deleted that thread because of so many members falling on their swords for Paul..and plenty of negative comments about the mods....that's not something they would want folks ready. I posted a coin to that thread but did not fall on the sword as I knew that is not what Paul would want. I can provide valuable information over there to newer collectors whether the advice is taken or not so while it's not a perfect situation I am going to try to continue over there and I hope others will reconsider and do the same.

Anything and everythign I post over there seems to dissapear. Even its something not directed toward anybody. So who knows?

ALL: I haven't been active on this forum for long, but I've certainly lurked for info for a long while, so I wanted to announce myself coming through the ether like this all of a sudden...

I just wanted to post to show my support of Paul. I only got to read the threads where this went down after they were edited and the bans were already imposed and just in time as the threads all got *disappeared* quickly thereafter. It was a sad turn of events and a case that was quite poorly handled (IMO) by the moderators. We all know they can't keep a good man down.

I <3 Jefferson Nickels!

Regards, Chris

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

I'm pleased to see many familiar members established here. I think I will be reading and following topics a bit more closely here for the time being.

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

I'm pleased to see many familiar members established here. I think I will be reading and following topics a bit more closely here for the time being.

Granted, it can get a little slow around here especially on the weekends when most of us are out on the porch in our rocking chairs, but I think this is the best bunch of people I've ever had the privilege to know.

Chris

PS. And we have absolutely the best mod in the business, bar none!

Chris

I've long since stopped posting with any frequency at CT for many of the reasons already stated. And, with Paul not posting his usual interesting threads there, gives me one more reason not to visit even if only on occasion.

I see that one of the threads on CT was moved to another forum, and I also noted that some of those members didn't take too kindly to the comments I made here about them. I responded to their comments, and in the event the powers that be over there don't like what I said, I've copied it here for you to read.

Chris

Originally Posted by jallengomez

I hate to see Paul banned, but it really ****es me off that other members of this forum are over there talking about CT members as if we're a bunch of imbeciles who have no integrity or morals.

I freely admit that I am one of those people who referred to some CT members being without ethics or morals and acting like imbeciles. It wasn't an attack on CT in general, nor should you ever feel that you are in that group. If they have any brains at all, they know who they are.

I can appreciate how you feel about your association with these forums, and how this can be unsettling for you, but you must realize that I feel the same way, too! What galls me is those members who are given sage advice, but refuse to accept it. What galls me is members who attack the integrity of others when they, themselves, don't even know anything about them. If you want to know why I made those statements, please read on. If you happen to be one of the members who fall into the group for which I have little respect, it doesn't matter to me one iota if you read this or not because you've already made up your closed mind about what you think of me.

1) In the thread "Is it Legal?", about two dozen people told the OP that she should keep the money and it was tough luck for the dealer. It didn't matter to them one bit that case law was provided that proved the money should be refunded. Instead, they acted like children who had just been caught doing something they shouldn't and made up excuses (hypothetical situations) to rationalize their behavior. If you don't know what the hell you're talking about, then you should shut up and learn! I even contacted the legal counsel for the ANA, Ron Sirna, whom I know from the NGC forums and met through Shane at the FUN Show, and he confirmed that we were correct in our opinion, but they still refused to listen to me, Doug or Condor, and in the end, I was insulted by the OP who chose to follow the bad advice. Are these people unethical or without morals? Are these people imbeciles for refusing to accept case law? In my opinion, yes!

2) In the thread about AT'ing coins, the attacks on Paul and Shane were unwarranted, and they were made by "human beings", and I use that term loosely, who really know nothing about them. Paul was trying to point out that he welcomed the thread because it would help educate others to recognize AT, but being a staunch opponent of coin doctors and selling AT coins, he became incensed by those of you who see nothing wrong with it and who also rationalized that people should be allowed to buy them if they want. I'd be mad, too, because this doesn't help the innocent people who are being conned into buying AT coins. Your complacent attitude leaves a lot to be desired, and makes me wonder if you know anything about numismatics at all.

The insinuation that Shane sells AT coins on his eBay site is not only ludicrous, it is assinine, and proves that those people who libeled him are just as uneducated as the people who are conned into buying AT coins.

So, if anyone wants to take potshots at me, be my guest. I would like to see the level of competence on the CT forums increase to make it a better place, but with attitudes like those that have been expressed just in these two threads, I don't see that happening.

Chris