• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For upcoming coin article: Need hi-res pictures of encased 3¢ postage

10 posts in this topic

If you can provide me high resolution/high quality pictures of the front and back of some 3-cent encased postage, I would be very grateful and I would like to provide you with the photo credits. I'd prefer an AYER'S type in decent shape if possible (as the AYER'S type will likely be the most common). The article is being aimed for a June Coin World but I need the photos within the next week or so. Please provide your full name to be used for the photo credits. Thank you.

What resolution do you need? I have a "Take Ayer's Pills" 3c HB-18 (scans, not photos). I have one reduced/edited at 400x800 showing both sides, and about 1200x1200 unedited for each side.

Preferably 600 dpi and a non-reduced version. If the scans are very good quality I might be able to use them (normally, pictures are much more preferable over scans, but even I have taken some decent scans of coinage from time to time). Please note that the editors can be very picky about what can ultimately end up as publishable.

Go ahead and PM me with the pictures and/or your e-mail.

Perry, I stand corrected and I made the necessary change to my post. I'm not sure how/why I got to calling it "encapsulated", but now that I'm looking at some of my references, I see it as "encased". Thanks for bringing that up.

I believe both are considered acceptable. This was copied from NGC's submission center.

"NCS Crossover $5 5 working days 5 working days Coins encapsulated by NCS are NGC Details Graded."

I inadvertently switched the term encapsulated for encased. The former term is essentially incorrect based on the literature I've seen. It was a good catch on Perry's part...quite glad he corrected me!

I believe both are considered acceptable. This was copied from NGC's submission center.

"NCS Crossover $5 5 working days 5 working days Coins encapsulated by NCS are NGC Details Graded."

This is what is being referred to here.

I inadvertently switched the term encapsulated for encased. The former term is essentially incorrect based on the literature I've seen. It was a good catch on Perry's part...quite glad he corrected me!

Normally I don't correct others terminology but since you are planning to write an article on the subject I figured that you would want to use the correct and customary terminology. Encased stamps are an interesting field that is collected by coin collectors, stamp collectors, and paper money collectors. You have to be careful though. Many have been repaired (replacement of a cracked mica window is a common repair) while others have had a common denomination stamp replaced with a rare denomination stamp to greatly increase its value to collectors of this series.