• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS70 conservation on copper - what does it do? Final summary posted!!

61 posts in this topic

Wonderful post HT. I am wondering though and I'd like to hear your opinion as well, could it be possible that the blue that you had seen on the one coin may be due to the MS70 reacting with something else that had been applied long ago? It may be interesting to take a couple of coins that you really do not care about and let each one soak in various solutions for a couple days that are commonly used in attempts to conserve a less than appealing coin such as Acetone, common Jewerly cleaner, etc.

That may well be possible, I have no idea, but it could very well be and this is a good point you make. It seems that whatever caused the blue sheen outgassed(?) from the surfaces over the past few months, or somehow reacted with air to remove the blue color.

Honestly though, I am thinking I am done experimenting with this stuff, it originated when earlier this year some of the folks on this board suggested a large cent I had was doctored with MS70 and I have never heard of this so had to find out. Take home message is that all kinds of different things can result from application of this stuff and clearly related to the distinct history of each coin so Chris your thinking above is on the right track I think. Some coppers are affected, some not because of this, and some are affected in different ways that others. I was trying to understand it so I could identify coppers where MS70 was applied, and this did help educate me in this and helped me determine whether a coin was something I would want or not. But not in all cases it seems......

My thoughts are that if this is what happening (reactions to chemicals deep within the pores) that we may be able to determine what the coin had been treated with in the past simply by looking at the different color variations after an application of MS70.

-Chris#2

Chris this also sounds good and reasonable, would take some time to do this however, if someone else wants to take it up and report, that would be great, my spare time is about to be cut substantially starting the new year, day job is going to get even more time consuming, alas......

Happy Holidays to all, and don't doctor your coins! (tsk)

Best, HT