• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conder Collectors - Post Your Images
3 3

606 posts in this topic

Hi Yarm, good to see you back, even if it is under an assumed name!  That token is definitely on my list of tokens I wish I could afford, along with Milton's token and the Greatheads series.

The DNW pictures do leave much to interpretation, I'm hopeful for my win - Middlesex DH83

MiddlesexKempsonLondonWestminsterDH83.jpg

I am surprised that NGC did not grade this, given that they did correctly identify it.  I wonder if it was viewed as an event ticket since they do grade medals from this time period.  And I agree that there is a range of grades this could be given, I can see anywhere from 58 to 63.

I really haven't purchased a new one in a long time. I thought this one was pretty interesting.

I think its listed as R but not sure if this is true. I haven't seen this one before.......but that may not mean much :)

Its listed as. 1794 Gt Britain COVENTRY Half-penny token NGC MS65RB D&H 249

1794 Gt Britain COVENTRY Half-penny token NGC MS65RB D&H-259.png

Does anyone know the best way to access the complete D&H reference for Conder tokens, i.e., is there a printed book available and/or is the complete book available online somewhere? Also, are there any good references on Conder tokens besides D&H? In particular, I am seeking information on Proof Conder tokens as well. Thanks!

The Dalton & Hamer reference is still the go to reference. R. C. Bell wrote some good books on them also but they are not as comprehensive. There are other books but in my opinion none of them are as useful as D&H. I did purchase a digital version at http://www.condertokenbook.com/ that is my normal go to reference. You will pay almost as much as for a physical copy but it is very useful. My only complaint is that I wish the photos were better quality.

If you want a copy of the latest printing of Dalton & Hammer it is available from Bill McKivor at thecoppercorner  http://www.thecoppercorner.com/Conder D 2017.pdf  It isn't cheap, $135.  He has a single copy left of the Deluxe printing  (25 printed) at $250.  (Unless you are a bibliophile I'd pass on the Deluxe, it really isn't that impressive.)  Earlier printings are hard to find and typically don't cost much less.

I was a little disappointed in the latest edition.  It had initially been promoted as a redo of D&H and I had been hoping for much better images, preferably larger ones, but the final product turned out to be basically just another reprinting of the original with the same images.  But it does have the latest new variety discoveries.

The digital version Chris mentioned is good, but it is pretty much just a searchable PDF version of the D&H book.  It's best feature is that you can enlarge the images.  They aren't as good as quality modern photos would be, but amazingly good considering they are copies of 1910 images.  I suspect the 1910 images were made from contact prints, they aren't the typical halftone images normally used and they do enlarge a lot better.

Thanks for the information, Chris and Conder101! I did see the $75 digital D&H available, but it does sound like it is nothing but a remix of the 1910 original. I don't know if D&H contains the type of information I need. I'm seeking information on Proof Conders; i.e., how they can be differentiated from business strikes, whether anyone referenced them in the early days (1790s-early 1800s), and whether they are really Proofs, at all. If you remember any specific sections of D&H that mention Proofs, or any other books, let me know! Yarm has added some recommendations in another thread.

Hey All,  been a long time since I've posted.   I can confirm the above,  the digital condertokenbook is a reformatted edition of original work.  I made it a while back using my copy of the first edition 1910-1918.  DH in general does not contain the information you seek.  I think Arthur Water's work might be the closest but even his would probably fall short of meeting your needs.  That book is called, Notes gleaned from contemporary literature respecting the issuers of 18th century tokens.  https://books.google.com/books?id=hQMXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR3&lpg=PR3&dq=arthur+waters+notes+gleaned&source=bl&ots=GbZHcSDTpH&sig=LmLp5i7jy0TjvCAtTnV3a6AVbWE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjwmKrc5tHZAhXDhOAKHfk1DNQQ6AEwBnoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=arthur waters notes gleaned&f=false

Worcestershire Worcester DH42  The medalet is one of several commemorating the King's visit to Worcester Aug. 6-8, 1788 for the annual Three Choirs meeting, the oldest music festival in the world.  From ebay (ernie :) )

Added: NGC graded this 66

WorcestershireWorcesterDH42Sm.jpg

Edited by farthing
Added grade

Very nice group, Farthing!

Haven't picked up much lately but I sent the obverse of this pair of uniface strikings to NGC and it came back with this description. (shrug)

NGC Description -(1796) G.B. D&H-23 MIDDLESEX - HACKNEY E: PLAIN, OBV. DIE TRIAL PENNY
NGC Grade -INELIGIBLE TYPE

Middlesex 23 is described in D&H as uniface trial pieces in white metal of the dies of Middlesex 24 without the "M" for Milton on the reverse. 
This pair* appears to be silver and there is the M characteristic of Middlesex 24 on the reverse. Perhaps I should have submitted them together!

5ac903c090788_MergedMiddlesex24uniface.thumb.jpg.91b0b606fe3e36165bf6e72292b18ca2.jpg
*While there is no guarantee that these are a pair at all, the patterns on the reverses suggest they were glued together at some point.

Okay, I posted this on the other forum but I would like grade opinions please on the next few tokens.

The one below I thought always came weakly struck compared to the other DH ones? Was I wrong?

First one is a DH-242a edge: Payable in Bedworth Nuneaton or Hinkley.
PCGS slabbed it as a DH242b not sure what edge that is?.

29o5s0g.jpg

hrn1ax.jpg

Up next are 2 Cambells Snuff tokens

Next up are some Cambell's Snuff tokens, both varieties. DH13a and DH14a 

erkeg9.jpg

hvt9jl.jpg

Two Middlesex Clerkenwell tokens:

DH 147, from a Baldwin's auction

Added: NGC graded this 65RB

MiddlesexClerkenwellDH147Sm.jpg

DH 155, from the same Baldwin's auction

Added: NGC graded this 65RB

MiddlesexClerkenwellDH155Sm.jpg

Edited by farthing
Updated

Two tokens from the Middlesex Skidmore Churches and Gates series.

Middlesex Skidmore DH 545a

Added: NGC graded this 64RB

MiddlesexSkidmoreDH545aSm.jpg

Middlesex Skidmore DH 559

Added: NGC graded this 64RB

MiddlesexSkidmoreDH559Sm.jpg

Edited by farthing
Added grade

Last 2 tokens for this batch -

Middlesex Kempson's London Buildings Series DH 59

Added: NGC graded this 64BN

MiddlesexKempsonDH59Sm.jpg