• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Live the MultiHolder - it is no more...

19 posts in this topic

Got word that the multiholder is no longer being offered to collectors - just to submitters that submit in bulk (1000 coins).

Which makes me sad... Not sure if anyone else liked the multiholder but I thought they were great for collectors.

Is a petition to bring it back in order ?

I remeber reading some where that they are working on bringing the multi-holders to all submitters.

Actually I talked to someone in customer service on Friday and she let me know that as of January 1st they have been discontinued permanently....

I think they are great for proof sets, mint sets, matched toned coins, state quarters ect...

I just submitted the 1969-1982 ANA Convention 3-medal sets to NGC at FUN. Despite the fact that the three medals of each year have the same issue # on the edge, I would still prefer to have them in individual slabs.

Chris

If true, it's a horrible marketing move. From a person who doesn't even prefer slabs, I think the multi-holder concept is awesome.

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp

Its no longer on option on the pricing page. Looks like the multiholder was replaced by the oversized holder....

I remeber reading some where that they are working on bringing the multi-holders to all submitters. .

The multicoin holder has BEEN available to all submitters for some years now. They have now taken it AWAY from most submitters.

The free availability of multiholders was one of the greatest advantages of NGC over PCGS. The decision to remove them should be reversed. Please send a message to NGC requesting that multiholders be continued as previously.

Bulk is 100 coins, not 1000.

As a seller I generally saw lower prices for coins in multiholders than in individual slabs. It was not a popular option with collectors.

Well its 7-2... in favor in this thread... anyone know how to do a poll on these boards ?

Sorry for the extra 0 ... 100 is still about 85 coins too many for me to reach bulk status with any particular order...

I just assembled a 1913 Proof set from cent to half dollar, including the two Bufflalo nickels.

Not that I would have had the set put into a multi holder because there are some practical issues with it ...

Still I remember when I had a five piece 1909 Proof set (with an Indian cent, but not the Lincoln cents) that I could place in a Capital Plastics holder back in the 1970s. It looked neat. Now I've got six slabbed coins, and that's no so neat. hm

Oh well, I suppose that is progress, and besides, authenticating the Matte Proof Buffalo nickels was a real bear in the old days. (shrug)

Well its 7-2... in favor in this thread... anyone know how to do a poll on these boards ?

Sorry for the extra 0 ... 100 is still about 85 coins too many for me to reach bulk status with any particular order...

I just set one up.

You can vote in it.

I find myself indifferent to the multiholder's demise. Except for coins that trade exclusively as sets, it reduces the saleability of individual coins and makes for a logistical problem when trying to upgrade. On the other hand, it is cool to hold a big Capital Plastics holder full of coins.

I just set one up.

You can vote in it.

Thank you - already did.

I doubt they will bring them back on a regular basis. I can understand the business decision, but I would love to see it offered on a occasional special offer situation.