• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Early Coinage, again)

14 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting question that came to me while I was reading something...

(Keith, batter up!)

Assuming I counted correctly, there are ELEVEN varieties of Early Dimes that share a reverse die with an Early Quarter Eagle.

Identify all ELEVEN varieties by their JR numbers, and identify (by the Breen #) the Quarter Eagles with whom they shared the reverse die.

EVP

Ouch, this one is a real doozy.

Best that I can start with is that you are talking about the quarter eagles minted from 1796-1807 and the dimes minted from 1798-1807.

Someone else will have to build on that answer, since I don't have any material that will give me a break down of the dime or quarter eagle varieties in that time frame.

Monty,

JR, of the Ewing clan, was an oil tycoon with a huge ranch outside of Dallas. I believe their greatest rivals, financial and personal, were the Carringtons.

Mr. J.R. Ewing, surprisingly enough, was named after Johann (John) Sebastian Reich. Mr. Ewing was also an avid numismatist and wrote an excellent book on Early and Capped Bust Dimes.

The book was co-authored by a coterie of his closest friends: Russ Logan, John McClosky, Bill Subjack and Bill Lovejoy.

smile.gif

EVP

EVP;

Thanks for the info! I like your since of humor!!! smile.gif I do like to see discussions and questions on other than darn modern coins!!!!!!! Even thiugh, I have no idea of the answer! confused.gif

The book was co-authored by a coterie of his closest friends: Russ Logan, John McClosky, Bill Subjack and Bill Lovejoy.

Oops! It's Allen Lovejoy, not Bill (his lesser known brother). And, I forgot Dave Davis.

I'll post the answer Monday evening if no one has posted the correct answer by then.

EVP

I'm betting on no takers. It's a great question, and something I had never even considered, but will take someone with a better library than me.

Going through my JR Dime Book, I get the following information:

1. 1798 JR-1 with 1797 B-1.

2. 1798 JR-4 with 1798 B-2.

3. 1800 JR-1 with 1798 B-2.

4. 1802 JR-1 with 1802 B-4.

5. 1802 JR-3 with 1802 B-3.

6. 1802 JR-4 with 1802 B-2, 1804 B-2.

7. 1803 JR-1 with 1802 B-4.

8. 1803 JR-2 with 1802 B-3.

9. 1804 JR-1 with 1802 B-2, 1804 B-2.

10. 1804 JR-2 with 1804 B-1.

11. 1807 JR-1 with 1805 B-1, 1806 B-1, 1806 B-2, 1807 B-1.

Linda's Daddy