• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The KING is for sale posted by Six Mile Rick

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A coin I have wanted since my beginnings as a collector.

Friends and Society;

Well Sunday is my day of rest and a peaceful day to do all the research I need to make the greatest purchase this Saturday that I could imagine. I have been fishing in new areas for coins and received a e-mail this week for a few rare coins. The seller must have quite the collection to offer such rarities.

The first coin on the list is 1909s VDB AU53 which had a generous price. I recently purchased a 1909 VDB MS64 from a friend in the Society but this 1909s was not the jaw drop in the e-mail. As I went on through the list there was the KING====1893s XF45 Morgan Dollar.

Now the list explains that the coins are certified but has no verification as to who certified them. I plan to call early this week and talk to the owner and if all sounds well I will make the trip Saturday for the purchase. For today my hopes are high that the coin is genuine with a good certified company. However I have gone through the authentication lists and found a ANACS article to be very helpful in making a final decision on the purchase.

This would truly be "THE ULTIMATE COIN of MY COLLECTION".

HAPPY COIN COLLECTING

8171.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Watch out for fake coins in fake slabs that look real. I would try and get pics of it, post them on the boards so others can look at it and help you determine if the coins is the real deal. You'd be surprised at what we've seen lately.

Yes Rick--please be careful. I have found that when descriptions are vague--that they are usually intentionally vague.

I don't need to tell you that for a coin of this type to stick with only PCGS or NGC ( maybe an old ANACS slab)...but also make sure to check the certification number if possible or get a 7-day return policy written from the seller. That way you can take a photo and have some others give opinions here or take it to a trusted dealer and have them take a look....

Best of luck, and if all goes well, congrats on your treasured find my friend........

Good advice, since there was only one obverse die used there are a couple of diagnostics in the word Liberty that every genuine coin will have. Here are a few links to get you started . It already sounds like you are doing your homework.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=1431&Counterfeit-altered-1893-Morgan-dollar

http://oimcoins.com/index_files/Page1012.htm

Another link with better pictures and explanations of counterfeits. Even though these pictures will help a lot, it is still advisable for a dealer to look at the coin. We all want you to have a coin that you will be proud to own.

http://anacs.com/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=48&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1