• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am the owner of my coins, and I will do what I please with them.

10 posts in this topic

Just like to say that. I don't care about this whole "caretaker" idea. I don't care if my coins rot, deteriorate, etc Well, actually I do, because if they turn bad on me, there goes the value. But to say that I'm the caretaker of the coins for future "care" by others is complete hogwash.

Just like to say that. I don't care about this whole "caretaker" idea. I don't care if my coins rot, deteriorate, etc Well, actually I do, because if they turn bad on me, there goes the value. But to say that I'm the caretaker of the coins for future "care" by others is complete hogwash.

Well they re your property and you may do with them as you wish, but might i say what happens when you pass on? Wouldn't you be upset if someting happened to them or someone got them that didn't know/care about them and they got destroyed? Many of us feel as Numismatists we are students of history and coins are our little connections to history which is why we are so attached.

If you do not relish the full time position of "caretaker" there are always part time "handyman" openings available. I think those are called "flippers" not quite sure, but I think I read that somewhere.

Anyway you slice it, Happy Holidays. :foryou:

My coins belong to my children, and hopefully their children too...

I would understand if my children or their children 'needed the money' in an emergency... but hopefully they will stay in the family a long time.

So I am more caretaker than 'owner'.

Most things in this world will outlast you, take care of them so others can enjoy the same thing and enjoy/learn from the past.

You can't take it with you.

My coins belong to my children, and hopefully their children too...

I would understand if my children or their children 'needed the money' in an emergency... but hopefully they will stay in the family a long time.

So I am more caretaker than 'owner'.

Most things in this world will outlast you, take care of them so others can enjoy the same thing and enjoy/learn from the past.

You can't take it with you.

Then, in which case, you, and not your children, are the owner of the coins because there appears to be conditions.

Well they re your property and you may do with them as you wish, but might i say what happens when you pass on? Wouldn't you be upset if someting happened to them or someone got them that didn't know/care about them and they got destroyed? Many of us feel as Numismatists we are students of history and coins are our little connections to history which is why we are so attached.

But I can sell them before I pass on. Even if I don't, there are many items that belong to me that I doubt anybody would give a care about, except maybe the house, its fixtures, and car.

If/when it comes time to sell my coins, I really don't care who I sell it to. It could be the greatest numismatist in the world, it could be the average bloke down the street. I don't own any museum-quality or near-unique pieces. I do own some valuable (at least to some/many/most) coins, but even those can be had fairly easily by others. Therefore, there is no need for me to pay special attention to my coins.

Besides, I don't believe in the afterlife, so whatever happens after I pass on, so be it. I wish the best for the future generations, but I have little, if any, control over it.