• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Even Fully Prooflike, the SBA is still ugly.

17 posts in this topic

So, NGC refused to call my first SBA prooflike, so when I saw this one on Ebay, I had to pick it up. Its fully reflective and deserving of the PL - but I don't care what you do, the SBA is an ugly coin. I do like the reverse, and this one is incredibly well struck with full talon details. NGC graded it 65 PL:

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7694.jpg

I agree with you about the coin, how does the saying go? You can put lipstick on a pig...

I also feel the same about Franklin Half Dollars, Ben Franklin was an amazing man, I wish his coin had been more appropriate.

Back to SBA However, Susan B Anthony herself wasn't really a 'looker' either...

Susan%20B.%20Anthony%20%281820-1906%29-Photo-B&W-Cropped%20&%20Resized.jpg

(shrug)

So, NGC refused to call my first SBA prooflike, so when I saw this one on Ebay, I had to pick it up. Its fully reflective and deserving of the PL - but I don't care what you do, the SBA is an ugly coin. I do like the reverse, and this one is incredibly well struck with full talon details. NGC graded it 65 PL:

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7694.jpg

It may not be an attractive coin, but it is a heck of a lot better looking than that baby-poop yellow looking thing that replaced it.

I hate to say this, but I think a nice DCAM SBA can actually be kind of attractive. OTOH, business strike SBA's definitely are unattractive... sorry that your PL falls within that category. Oh well, at least you can check off another box in your PL Type Set... (thumbs u

I also feel the same about Franklin Half Dollars, Ben Franklin was an amazing man, I wish his coin had been more appropriate.

I truly believe that the SBA dollar was the ugliest coin ever struck by the United States.

As for the Franklin half, I love them both for the design and for the man himself. One of my most admired Americans of all time, Ben was one in a million.

Hey, who put that bag over that sexy face! lol

You beat me to it Sam. I was going to say that looks like the rare "bag over head variety" or about time somebody put a bag over that head.

And after all these years, I thought that was Ichabod Crane on that coin lol

Broadstruck - love that error! Definitely vastly improves the obverse.

Woody - its quite possible that this came out of one of those sets. I have a set, and the coins are flashier than normal business strikes, although nowhere near PL.

I truly believe that the SBA dollar was the ugliest coin ever struck by the United States.

As for the Franklin half, I love them both for the design and for the man himself. One of my most admired Americans of all time, Ben was one in a million.

Even though the Franklin Set is not an extremely challenging set to complete in MS grades (unless you are going for all MS 65 and higher FBL). I have always been fascinated with that coin; I really like it. Probably, b/c it was the first half dollar (going backwards in time) that was in circulation before I was born--so, since I only knew Kennedys, I thought that it was cool. Looking at it from an unbiased point of view, I still think that it is a very cool and unique coin. And, of course, Ben Franklin was one of the greatest Americans who ever lived, without a doubt.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.

Benjamin Franklin

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Benjamin Franklin