• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a profound Dis-appointment ........... posted by J Lloyd Young

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When you find a coin has been damaged all along and you had absolutely no idea ....

I have spent a good part of the last few hours today removing some coins from what I'll call Fourth Party Grader's Slabs ...those companies that did not do such a good job consistantly anyways...to get them ready for eventual NGC certification .

I was almost devastated to discover an 1864 2 Cent Piece graded

MS-64 Brown had significant damage that COULD NOT BE SEEN through the slab for some reason ....someone lightly scratched the initials M V into the top of the shield on the obverse .

I examined each coin after removal and saw the scratches right away on this one .I didn't want to believe it . I looked again and again and again . I am flabberghasted that any grading service would have blantantly ignored the damage and slabbed the coin with a grade like it had .

I am enclosing a scan ...not sure if the picture will show the

damage or that even the basic details will show due to size of the scan .

This is the only example I have ever seen ( atleast so far ) of a significantly damaged coin like this making it into a slab with an UNC grade without the damage making it a details type grade .

What a profound disappointment .............

7972.JPG

See more journals by J Lloyd Young