• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFTER 54 YEARS, I'M CALLING IT QUITS!

21 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm giving up pool. About 10 years ago, I developed a slight quiver in my stroking hand. At first, it didn't bother me too much, but as time progressed, it gradually worsened. Now, my hand shakes uncontrollably whenever I am playing. It's really strange because it doesn't shake any other time and it's only the right hand. It has literally destroyed all of the mechanics of the game that came so naturally to me ever since I was nine years old.

Ironically, I feel the same way about the pool cues that I have collected as I do about my coin collections. It will be so hard to part with them. Most aren't just any run of the mill pool cues, either.

I have a custom-made JOSS (Baltimore) that Danny Janes made for me in 1988. The word "Joss" in Chinese means luck and good fortune. He and his partner, Bill Stroud, were road players together, and they started the company in the late 60's. Bill left in 1973 and moved to the "Garden of the Gods" near Colorado Springs where he started making cues under the name of Joss West. Bill became one of the foremost craftsmen in the industry, and I bought my first Joss West in 1982. It is nothing fancy, just plain birdseye maple that cost me $350, but in 1994, he offered me $2000 for it because he does not make duplicates of any of his cues. I had another Joss West that I purchased from him in 1987, but it was stolen at a tournament in Indiana in 1993. The other Joss West that I have was made about 1992, and I purchased it from Tom Madsen of Tom's Q-Stix (Lincoln, Nebraska) when he had his table set up at the BCA National Championships in Las Vegas in 1998. This is a real beauty! It has 250 pieces of ivory and ebony inlays, sterling silver beauty rings and New Zealand mother-of-pearl inlaid in the ivory forearm points and reverse points on the butt. The original owner had never used it, so it was just as new as it was the day he bought it........"mint state" condition!

One of the other custom cues I have was made by Mike Sigel (Winter Garden, Florida). I've known Mike for a long time. The first time I ever played him was in 1969 in a little poolroom on Reisterstown Road just southwest of Baltimore. I won $280 from him playing 9-Ball for $5 a game. For those of you who don't know anything about the professional players, Mike was the winningest player of the 80's. He won more than 100 professional tournaments in that span. Anyway, the Sigel cue I have is another one-of-a-kind made with an ebony butt and sterling silver and ivory inlays. It really sparkles under the table lights of an otherwise dark poolroom.

I have several other custom cues, and I could go on and on, and there are so many stories that are associated with all of them. If only cues could talk! Yeah, it's going to be hard giving up something you've enjoyed for more than a half century.

Chris

Very sorry to hear that Chris. Is it a condition that the docs can fix?

Other players have had this affliction, and I'm not really sure what causes it. I've tried medication, but it doesn't seem to help and I can't afford it anyway now that I'm on a fixed income.

Chris

Yes, it's got to be tough to give up something you truly enjoyed. I'm sorry to hear that.

As I get older, I find myself doing many things differently. No longer put my hand on the truck bed railing and vault over the side to get out.....As a matter of fact, I don't jump from almost any height anymore. Feet can get hurt now, and don't heal so quickly, if at all....Lugging tree trunk sections out of the woods on my shoulder is most certainly out of the question.

Of course, these things aren't like shooting pool. The point being, things change.

Thank God there are many things in life that stay good !

Paul

I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up something that you were so good at and have enjoyed all these years. It's sad but if you can't play, or even if you can't play at the level that you expect out of yourself or are accustomed to, it can be frustrating. Well, think of the bright side: now you can spend more time on your coins! :)

Chris----- What can I say?? You and I are about the same age. Times change as we do as we get older.

Like Paul [ the beav], I used to cut wood here in my woods and pick up one end of the log and hustle it onto my right shoulder---and off I'd go. Now, at 64, I let my son lift the log most of the time. My muscles are dwindling as I speak.

It's worse when you are really good at something. I used to be a pretty fair duckpin bowler back in the 50's and 60's and 70's. I think, once in awhile, what a shame it was that I gave it all up when I moved to the Eastern Shore. But, today, I just laugh at how I would look on the lanes today. Noone would "EVER" believe that, in my day, I was one of the best around.

So it must be with you. Memories are still there---times spent with your mom. Wonderful times that are cherished in your heart. Maybe you can find something to keep you busy now? I know that it won't take the place of pool----BUT MARCH FORWARD with your life. There's stuff yet to be done that could be quite rewarding. My son, Dave, knows that in just a few years he will own my Stihl too. It is just the process that CAN"T be slowed down. Take care, my friend. Bob

I am sorry to hear you are giving up one of your greatest loves but this type of thing goes with turf- we all are not able to do what we use to be able to do at the same skill levels as Mother Nature takes her course. I hope you will keep your id as we would all miss the ol' "9ball".

Jim

Hang in there, Chris. With some patience you can replace this activity with something you can do well and with equal enthusiasm. You just have to try, but no matter what don't give up looking. Heck, half my life's most enjoyable time has been spent in the hunt, whether coins, guns, cars or game. I'm down to a few coins and a few guns now due to health/wealth Best of luck partner. I truly look forward to someday meeting you in person, along with several others on our board.

Jim

Sorry to hear about this! Serious question: have you considered physical therapy?

James,

Physical therapy won't help. I know other pro players who have had this affliction, and the only alternative is medication. It works for some and not for others. I was taking medication for several months but it only worsened. I was just wasting my money.

Chris

Hang in there, Chris. With some patience you can replace this activity with something you can do well and with equal enthusiasm. You just have to try, but no matter what don't give up looking. Heck, half my life's most enjoyable time has been spent in the hunt, whether coins, guns, cars or game. I'm down to a few coins and a few guns now due to health/wealth Best of luck partner. I truly look forward to someday meeting you in person, along with several others on our board.

Jim

That would be nice, Jim. About the only major show I attend is FUN. I always look forward to meeting some of the members there. Maybe one day, my friend.

Chris

Back when I can't recall, it was nothing to walk 18 holes in the morning, sit at the club house with a gin & tonic, call the wife on a pay phone (10¢) and decide to go out and walk another 18...now when I do get out on the links, I get out of breath getting in and out of the golf cart.

We all age differently, my weight gain at age 60 really slowed me down and my Doctor does not understand why I suddenly took on excess fluids/fat, the drugs are keeping it in check, but my years of smoking (24, quit in 1987) have taken it's toll. I know how pool halls were ALWAYS filled with smoke, this could not have been conducive for your extended health issues.

I'm sure there is a doctor out there who can diagnose your affliction and perhaps correct the malady...keep searching, the internet is our friend.

Rack'em up!

I would say now is my chance to finally win but even with the shakes you would beat me doh!

Shane is just being kind. I knew he let me win all those games. Don't play him for your toners, guys!

Chris

I guess painting is out of the question :)

Hey bud sorry to hear, but it happens to people much younger too.

My Brother has a similar malady but in a much worse form where anytime he attempts to tension the muscle in his arm it quivers ..... Quivers ... dammm looks like archery is out of the question too :)

Take care ... least you have us and we cannot see your arm quiver as you type :)

tho slow it may be