• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanted – war nickel images for next book

28 posts in this topic

I’m searching for high quality (600 dpi or better TIFF or JPG) color images of the reverse of P, D and S war nickels, plus one obverse for use in my next book. The contributor will get an image credit line and mention in the “contributors” section.

I’m also looking for the same for 1942 Cu-Ni nickels: 1 obv and P-D rev.

Contributors must own the copyright to the images.

Thanks!

robec1347 - #2 might work. #1 has too much contrast to reproduce well. #3 has lighting coming from under the chin, so it does not show the bas relief well.

leeg - Obv might work; rev seems to lack detail in the photo at the center.

Images in the book will only be about 2-inches in diameter, so design details need to be clear.

If I may offer a suggestion, would it be better to have images of non-encapsulated examples, such that at least a bit of the edge is captured? This could reveal some of the fine ridges that were imparted as the blanks were punched out of the strips.

I'll shoot some of mine for you - I have some stellar raw examples in my collections.

Edited to add: ... and I'll be glad to relinquish all copyright privileges for the images.

James,

Yes, images showing the normal rim are preferred - plastic slabs give a distorted idea of the coin.

The owner of the images retains all copyright. All I will need is the OK to use them in the book....same applies to anything else folks contribute. I will almost certainly publish this like the Renaissance books, except maybe in soft cover to cut costs. Color printing might be an option, so I’m using color in the draft layouts.

R

PS: It will be printed in the USA.

Original image of coin sides are 1435 px across. I'm just posting the 1942-P at the moment - if you like the lighting, then I can image my 1943 P, D, and S ones. All are MS-66FS. None are heavily toned, and no rainbow toning.

1942P_MS66FS_Ty2_large.jpg

RWB,

I you like any of these let me know and I can post the individual shots of the obverse and reverse in 700x700 pixels.

1942 P & D regular issue:

JeffersonNickel1942NGCMS671.jpg

JeffersonNickel1942-DNGCMS676FS.jpg

This is a variety coin for Philly:

JeffersonNickel1943-PNGCMS675FSDDOV.jpg

Another regular P mint:

JeffersonNickel1944-PNGCMS675FS4Lab.jpg

Denver examples:

JeffersonNickel1943-DNGCMS67.jpg

JeffersonNickel1944-DNGCMS67TApp-6.jpg

San Francisco:

JeffersonNickel1942-SNGCMS672183-19.jpg

JeffersonNickel1943-SPCGSMS67FS1.jpg

Most of my examples are toned but I threw in as many untoned coins as I could since the toned coins can be distracting.

Let me know,

Paul

James,

Yes, images showing the normal rim are preferred - plastic slabs give a distorted idea of the coin.

The owner of the images retains all copyright. All I will need is the OK to use them in the book....same applies to anything else folks contribute. I will almost certainly publish this like the Renaissance books, except maybe in soft cover to cut costs. Color printing might be an option, so I’m using color in the draft layouts.

R

PS: It will be printed in the USA.

Roger, you're welcome to use any of my images freely for any purpose. Or, do you need additional possiblities? I just shot those quickly, and have a number of additional War Nickels.

By the way, at least one of the UNCs I imaged has the "Hoot Pedigree" :) !

Edited to add: Oops! Just noticed you also wanted 1942 type-1 images - I'll shoot my examples, too.

I have this 1944-S in my Capital holder and have always thought it was pretty neat. It is often referred to as the 'Flagpole' die break from th obvious location of the break above the dome. I have also heard others call this he 'dollar sign' die break since it sorta-like a $.

My photos are quickies through the Capital holder, so the coin would be available for better photography if desired.

Andy

106113.jpg.443e2434469013b2c6bba9bc1160ad31.jpg

106114.jpg.badce49b6ba8fe05bb4563f7f58905bd.jpg

106115.jpg.f615715a7ed68e924300dd33b926f3a3.jpg

I have this 1944-S in my Capital holder and have always thought it was pretty neat. It is often referred to as the 'Flagpole' die break from th obvious location of the break above the dome. I have also heard others call this he 'dollar sign' die break since it sorta-like a $.

Yep, my 1945-D pictured above has a similar die-crack, though mine is not as advanced. Nice coin!