• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to this and need help with coin questions

16 posts in this topic

Hi All - I new to this world of forums but I am interested in and have always been interested in collecting coins. Doesn't much matter if they are worth anything as long as I find them interesting.

Anyhow, I have some questions and need some help from more experienced colletors. Please forgive my ignorance.

This past weekend I was in this small shop and saw a couple of coins that looked pretty cool but they were priced high - or at least it appeared that way to me as someone who knows little to nothing about coin values.

Here is the info I have for two coins that I saw.

The first - 1905 Barber Dime, PCGS pr 62. It was encased in what looked almost like glass. It had a price of $395.

Is it worth that? Or do I need to get more information? What should I look for when looking at the coin? Etc.

The second - 1807 icg vf 25 draped half dollar. It was encased in what looked like a plastic type case with cardboard on the outside. It had a price of $695.

Is it worth that? Or do I need to get more information? What should I look for when looking at the coin? Etc.

Please forgive my ignorance and any help you all can give would be much apprciated.

thanks

jack

You can find prices of coins like these in the Heritage Rare Coin Galleries and Teletrade archives. Registration is required but it is free. Just keep in mind that two coins in the same grade can still sell for different prices though based upon the quality you listed, it should not vary too much.

Also, PCGS and NGC coins will almost always be worth more than one graded by ICG bacause the latter is less marketable.

It also sounds like you need to become more familiar with third party grading services and holders. You can learn more about the holders and the grading process on sites like this one or PCGS.

Whatever you do, look before you leap. There's an old addage in numismatics: "Buy the book before the coin." Buy a Red Book. There are some great books out there on many (most/nearly all) series that will inform you of the nuances of the series, giving you great tips on what to look for. Also, you might want to pick up a book on grading, such as Photograde. There are also several good hobby magazines kicking around, such as Coin Values and and Coin World; read the articles and realize that the prices listed are on the upper end for the most part (learning the exceptions comes with time). Read all you can, look at lots of photos, peruse the auction sites mentioned above, and get involved - then start buying coins.

A couple of resources on books include:

Stanton Books

Brent-Kreuger

Amos Advantage

Wizard Coin Supply

American Numismatic Association (the country's biggest coin club)

Charles Davis Numismatic Literature When the time comes for more specialized literature on coins.

There are many others.

Welcome to the hobby! Hope you stick around and find a great forum here on the NGC boards.

Hoot

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

The prices you quoted sound a little high to me. You can find equitable coins for less. Good luck, and enjoy the search, since that's the best part of this great hobby - the search!

Welcome to the neighborhood, Jack!

While I won't be able to answer your questions, I thought the least I could do was post this in your honor.

Chris

105833.jpg.0d270a88625f9b9219051709102969c2.jpg

105834.jpg.d495ef900d62f22c8f911d032818e093.jpg

In a retail outlet that bust half while certainly not underpriced isn't all that overpriced either--at least for an attractive, non-problem, properly graded coin.

That's the problem with discussing value without actually seeing the coins in question. A listed grade (regardless of who or what company graded it) is only one aspect of value.

Welcome to the forum WAB. Welcome also to the numismatic community of coin collecting. There is a lot to learn when first venturing into purchasing coins. I would advise searching around here on the forums for topics of cleaning, atificial toning, etc... I would also buy a couple books to get yourself knowledgeble with pricing and grading of coins. As mentioned, the redbook is good, prices are a little higher than realized but it helps. Also NGC has the numismedia guide that can help alot. When I hit my first coin show, I made a 3-ring binder copying the pages of coin prices that I was mainly interested in so I could refer to it. ANA and Photograde have good grading books that can help you with grading coins also. It takes some pretty good experience to distinguish between all the different cleaning and altering conditions that can effect coins also, so maybe in the beginning, coins that are already graded by 1 of the top 3 TPGs would be recommended also. Jumping into buying coins with no experience can be very costly in the beginning if you don't do your homework first. These forums are very helpful and we have knowledgeble members here for most all series of coins and thier conditions. Be patient and when in doubt on a coin, post it here and ask. It costs nothing to question it here as opposed to buying it and finding out later. :hi:

Welcome to forum!

All good advice and I like what Bobby said about posting a coin here for opinions.

Be careful if you have any tendency towards OCD. Coin collecting can be hmmmm, addicting. That first gem bu is like hitting the sweet spot with the 7 iron on the 18th.

I enjoy the dialog here and the best part is living vicariously through Boiler78's and other amazing coin collectors.

I have purchased many coins from excellent collectors and dealers that post here.

Cheers,

OP

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

I plan to buy a red book today if borders has it. I plan to start with this book and see where it takes me.

I would call myself an amatuer collector as I have many coins. 20 or 30 silver dollars and numerous others that I have collected since I was a kid (over 35 yrs). Now I have more means to actively start buying/collecting. As I said above, I mainly collect coins that I think are cool in some way - nice looking - something I have never seen, etc. I am not really in it for the money, so over paying for a coin a bit does not really bother me too much as long as I am not paying way over the actual value.

Also, I would like to post some pictures of coins that I have already that I really have not seen anywhere before - but I really have not did much research either.

What is the best way to take pictures or coins to get the best views of them for all to look at on here?

Thanks again.

Jack

What is the best way to take pictures or coins to get the best views of them for all to look at on here?

Thanks again.

Jack

Start with this thread in the What You Need to Know (WYKN) forum:

Coin Photography Technique

It has links to many other places to get information. Coin photography is one of the most discussed topics here and a search will turn up a lot of good information.

While you are there, read some other topics in the WYNK section. There is a lot of good information on many topics and a beginner can learn a lot.

got the red book. it is so cool. cant wait to get home and start looking at what i have. gotta get a magnifiing glass i think.

I do have a wierd coin at home. it is what i would call a 2 cent piece. The year is 1892 I believe. But that is all that is on the coin other than so wierd designs or what I am not sure.

If i post a couple of pictures of it - can someone help me to identify what it is and where it is from? I can't find it in the red book.

thanks

The other book you might want to read before you get started is "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual" by Scott Travers.

It tells you how to go about being a coin collector and is especially useful if you're planning on spending a fair amount of money, which, if you're looking at proof Barber dimes, it sounds like you are.

A proof 62 (PR62) is usually a coin that is not all that attractive to more advanced collectors, so without even seeing the coin I would suggest you avoid this piece. Other than that, the best thing to do is to take your purchases slowly and try to learn from each one.