• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 S Morgan dmpl on ebay--what do you think?

18 posts in this topic

This 1881 S Morgan dollar closing this evening on ebay looks polished to me, even though Liberty's face is the cleanest I have ever seen. The seller does offer many photos of the coin and has 100% feedback. Here are three photos of the coin offered. What do you think of this coin?

Jim

1881Smorgan2.jpg

1881Smorgan.jpg

1881Smorgan3.jpg

The second set of images, they make it look like it's been polished by some method. With the pitting that seems to be there and the high level of shine. I would be suspicious and would stay away. It's easy to get 100% positive when you deal with newbs.

I'm, extremely leery about buying raw coins on eBay. If the coin looks that nice, why hasn't it been submitted for grading? What kind of return policy does the seller have?

Chris

If you are interested in buying this coin, how much would you expect to potentially save by doing so? I believe you would be better off buying a graded one given how common this coin is and just cracking it out if you want a raw one.

This coin sold for $385.00. That means it's only a good buy at MS65 DMPL. This is a potential PL coin not DMPL.

IMHO definitely no. It has a MS65 strike but the Obverse has no frost no Cameo appearance. The Reverse does have a Cameo look. Overall no top tier TPG would grade DMPL.

These type of coins pop up on Ebay all too frequently. Very misleading.

$ilverHawk

I wish I could my car to shine like that baby. I must not be using the right wax.

Maybe you need to strip, polish and buff your car as well as the Morgan. :devil:

Sorry...but I , too, am extremely leery of ANY raw coins that are for sale on eBay.

In answer to World Colonial, I have no interest in buying this coin at all. I just felt it had been polished and the pitting clinched it, but I wanted to hear the forum's opinion also. Thanks to all who replied. Shame that someone paid such a price for this coin.

Jim

to be sure

i would need to see the coin in hand sight seen

but

the coin doesnot look like it was struck at the federal mint in san francisco in 1881

Michael makes an interesting point - the coin is so severely altered that it hardly even looks genuine. I agree with his point completely!