• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New #1 in the Silver Roosie Registry!

160 posts in this topic

I have something to add to this discussion that may clear up a few things and cloudy up other things that have come up in this thread.

I am the anonymous person that purchased the Lablover set. I don't feel it's fair for Brian to continue to take Paul's misplaced wrath when I am the collector who was lucky enough to purchase such a wonderfully built collection. Opportunities like that do not come around every day, and on the rare occasion such a great group of coins is offered to me, I didn't hesitate to make the purchase, and I would do the same in the future. That's the way truly great sets are built, at least in my humble opinion. The merging of several carefully put together sets over several years or more can result in something very special. I did it with Lincolns, and I hope to do it with Roosies. I simply can't get enough of these beautifully toned little pieces of silver, and the Lablover set was full of them.

Yes, I did sell some of them to Brian, but indirectly, and he did not know I was the seller. He does now know, as we have discussed this all at great length, and I believe he is quite happy with all of his new acquisitions. As for prices paid, that is a private matter between Brian and I, and quite frankly none of anyone else's business. The same is true about what I paid for the set. I am extremely pleased with the deal that was made, and I have some tremendous coins that I intend to keep for quite some time. I will be entering them in my NGC registry set soon, and pictures should follow soon after that. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I do.

One last comment, and that is that great collections are built with a very strict eye for quality, and the most minute detail can make a very large difference in the value of the coin, at least to me. I am not concerned about the point value or the price guide or my registry rank. Those things all tend to work out in the end when you spend years seeking out the best coins, not just the highest number on the plastic that you can find. A lot of times the best has the highest number on the plastic, but not always!!!

All the best to the Roosie gang! We are a passionate bunch!!!

Dan "Close to Perfect" By the way, it's just a set name, and I make no claim that it even remotely describes me personally. I've got just as many faults as the next guy, probably more! I do hope it someday does match my Roosie set though!

Paul,

Just a little free advice. As you know, I sold you some of the dimes in your collection. I've also bought, sold and traded Roosies with the owners of most of the top collections here and at PCGS, including pretty much everyone commenting on this thread, and I'll bet most of them can say the same. In other words, we're a small community, and it wouldn't surprise me if most of the Roosevelt dimes worth owning are already owned among this group. So the last thing someone who was determined, as I know you are, to keep improving his collection should want to do is alienate the people who have what he wants. When I've dealt with you directly I've found you to be a decent enough guy, but you have to know it doesn't make you any friends to insult Brian and his collection. It makes you look petty and spiteful, and that's not in your interest.

I congradulated Brian in a private e-mail.. He defently won the award this year.There was a few monster roosevelts that I could have bought, but I dont want to pay insane prices.Dan is also a great contender in this series as welll. He defently has the award this year. I will be defently giving him a run for his money next year.Slow and steady I will go.I am enjoying the competition,YEAAAA

I just wanted to add how much more fun it has made collecting Roosies since I came over to this side of the street, thanks to the urging of Nick. The NGC Roosie crowd is so much more active than the PC side is, at least currently. And then the added bonus of some absolutely unbelievable Roosies residing in NGC holders, a few of which I've been fortunate to secure. I was really missing the boat collecting only PC coins. I'm not trying to detract from my PC set, as I've got some pretty nice coins there also, but not looking at NGC coins before was not too smart on my part.

Thanks Paul, I look forward to the competition also. As far as the silver set is concerned, I'm not flashing my headlights to pass you yet...but keep an eye on that rear view mirror.:) I think the Roosie market is going to get very interesting over the next few years. Fasten your seatbelts, I don't think you've seen anything yet!

Dan

How can anyone not like these truly remarkable gems!

I have had the opportunity to deal with many of the Roosey guys on here and find all to be some of the classiest people in the coin world to deal with! Meeting the people, buying selling trading, talking dimes in general! The discovery of that one little gem for improvement. The disappointment of grading results. I don't think I would trade if for eny thing else!

The pride and passion is what makes this series so enjoyable. This is a world class set of registry coins that I find hard to believe could be topped by any other series. New coins seem to be popping up frequently which helps many of us to continue to improve our sets. When someone adds a new coin to their set, I feel like a kid in the candy store! I cannot wait to see the pictures and read the discriptions. It's almost like an addiction.

Just imagine an ALL STAR master set, taking coins from the various sets in the registry. What a remarkable line up it would be!

Well,dan..If you arent flashing your headlights yet, I need to press on the gas a little and stay in brians tail wind. It will be interesting in the next years awards. As far as I know, You and brian defently have me this year.Next year will present a whole set of difficulty for all of us. We defently are close to each other and Eventually we will have to play cut throat. I enjoy the competition and gains and losses in this series..It defentually wants u to pull your hair out sometimes.

He may have taken the award this year. But I can honestly say..He bought the award and he PAID for it. Now when it comes time to sell.. I dont think he will even get 80% what he put into it.. In wouldnt pay those prices..I know someone who found a sucker and made him pay for those coins

Yet you're willing to spend hundreds on modern clad coins that are one federal reserve brick or mint set away from losing nearly all of their premium...

It looks like the headlights flashed. What a burst of spead by Dan who has now passed Paul for second place right on Brians tail. Three complete sets very close in the standings. What a race. Who will it be at the finish line first come deadline?

Cast your votes. Brian, Dan or Paul

This has to be the most insane race of all times. This race will probally be so close that this is becoming a nightmare for at least two of us. The final winner will probally win only by just a few hunderd points or less. Congradulations to the person who wins this year. Next year will becone 10 times worst than this year.It is a fresh start to try it all again for another 365 till next yeasr awards. I know Dan is the bigboy in PGCS,but I really known over 10 years ago PCGS was a doomed company. I really known the NGC registry would become #1. Roosevelts are becoming so hot that the market is bringing insane prices for these coins. I can honestly say that I cant think of any other demonations that are hotter than this. Well,15 Days left till the winner is Crowned. Good Luck to all.

Paul, Paul, come on now. PCGS a doomed company?! You come up with some strange opinions. As far as the competition is concerned, you are correct about it being very close and it will probably come down to the last day or maybe minute. But if I'm not the one on top at the end, a hearty congrats to the winner. But a nightmare, not for me anyway. I don't want this to sound conceited in any way, but it probably will. My set is the best, for one major reason. There are too many best of date coins residing in PCGS holders as there also many in NGC holders. To think you truly have the best set with all your coins in either NGC or PCGS, but not a blend of the two is ludicrous. The only way to have the best set with all your coins in the same company holder is to cross them all to one side or the other. I also agree with you about prices. This set has been overlooked too long. Compared to Lincolns and jeffersons and washingtons, this set is still a major bargain. You just have to be in it for the long haul! Good luck Paul, and you too Brian!

Well Dan, I know we both have our disagreements PCGS and NGC. You do have to understand that NGC does 10 times the volume than PCGS . That in its self says a lot. PCGS does command a more of a premium,but more coins are being crossed from PCGS to NGC. Well, I have been in it for the long haul. I am stubburn as a mule and I dont really know if Brian is in it for the long haul. I know if we all combine our sets together, It would be a truely magnificant set that would never be challenged..EVER... Well ,next year between the 3 of us, it will become a fight till the finish. There will be only winner this year, I cant wait to see who it is

I'm going to take a shot at a winner. First will be Brian, Second will be Paul and a close Third will be Dan. I'm also going to step out on a limb and say Brian Holds First place for as long as he owns his set.

Oh well, sounds like Nick thinks Paul has a last minute surprise coming that that will pass me but not Brian. I will come out and say right now that I have no surprises in reserve. I don't play that game, I just enter improvements as they come.

And for what it's worth, I agree with Nick's assessment of this year's final standings. As for Brian staying #1 as long as he stays in the game, we will have to see about that. At least I have a comfortable lead in the complete 1946 to date Roosie set. I think I am safe there.

Dan

This will be exciting down to the wire. I am just happy that I broke into the top 5 with my latest additions thanks to an early Christmas and birthday present. I know everyone is talking about the top 3, but there is also quite a race from 4th -8th, but there is no prize for coming in those slots.

Dan, I'm pretty good at reading the registry and the registry says Paul has a 57D 67*FT on its way to him. That coin will put him past you but still behind Brian. I know where most all the big coins are hiding and if any come out of hiding I would know about it. You have the 46 - date wrapped up and I predict you will hold that title for as long as you own your set.

Jason, It's nice to see you back in the game. There is no prize for second or third either.

Remember all, have fun with your collections

Nick,

I never went away, but only needed the right coins to become available. I think the silver part is unofficially done now. I would love to find the 57P and perhaps upgrade the 58P, but those coins will be few and far between.

Maybe now I can start trying to catch Dan in the clad set!

Jason

Jason,

That would be great, I would love to have some company in the clads. It's lonely at the top of that registry division! lol, just joking guys, but seriously, we need some of you to take the Clads more seriously. I know the color in the clads is not comparable, but FB or FT in a lot of dates are very tough to come by. And they are still Roosies!

Dan

Congrats on the Top 5 Jason! As for last minute additions, I am hoping to add a few coins by the deadline and will add them once I receive them. The clad series is one I will never jump into. I'm happy hunting down toned coins in other denominations versus the clad series.

I have a proposal, I think it's time for Nick to post a set on the NGC side and share some of his finest with us...Nick?

Good luck gents.

Brian

This is really fun to watch this come down to the wire. There are a couple of really big coins on the market right now that could impact the final results. I think it will be really interesting to see if anyone makes a move on them! Now, where's the popcorn.....

Lonnie,

I see that the 1952D MS68*FT has been bought. If Paul picked it up it will add 2000 points to his set. Brian has a PCGS 1964D 67FT pending. That coin will add 1600 points to Brian's set. Barring a last minute miracle I don't see Brian losing his number 1 spot. At least not this year. Now if Brian bought it??????

I am waiting till I recieve mine. I know you won. You have spent a ton of money for that certificate. U can have it. Next year will be a whole new ball game. I only spent about 7000.00 this year. Next year I may spend a little more.