• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSH: Certified Silver Britannias - 2010 NGC MS69 and 1998 NGC PF68UCAM

7 posts in this topic

FOR SALE: High Grade, Certified Silver Britannias

Prices include USPS first class shipping with delivery confirmation and insurance.

Payment: Checks, USPS money order, or PayPal (add 3% for Paypal, please).

1998 NGC PF68 Ultra Cameo G. Britain Silver Britannia S2P - $110

This is a special coin, with frosty ultra cameo devices on a clean, mirrored field. I think it would have made PF69UCAM, except for the blush of rosy toning that graces the rim on the obverse. Frankly, I prefer this piece to any of the PF69s I've seen, specifically because of the extra character that the gentle wash of color brings it. I may have the original box and COA for this coin, if the purchaser desires it (request when ordering).

brit-1998pf.jpg

2010 NGC MS69 G. Britain Silver Britannia S2P - $90

This year's issue is something of a departure from previous trends of style and execution. Termed the "Serene Portrait," the 2010 Britannia design was sculpted by newcomer-to-the-series, Suzie Zamit, who wrote: "I wanted to portray Britannia as strong (almost Amazonian) and courageous looking, but not overly warlike; more peaceful and protective. I have given her a Corinthian-style helmet and incorporated a lion on the design: the lion being the national symbol of courage - I wanted to emphasize the strong and watchful connotations - and this also links in with Greek and Roman coinage which display many animals."

Queen Elizabeth II's portrait is on the obverse as usual; however, this year the entire obverse was done in a completely matte finish. The 2007-2009 issues' obverses were executed in a brilliant finish, and I think that the coins suffered for that. The Queen's cheek is a common spot to see blemishes, due to the large, smooth surfaces. A matte finish is immensely kinder to the effigy than the extraordinarily delicate mirrors of a brilliant finish.

On the reverse, we see the Serene Britannia portrait as described above. The lettering, composition, and date appear in brilliant finish on a brilliantly finished ring around the portrait. The date is flanked by sprigs of leaves (olive leaves?), which is the first time the date was bookended in this manner. The effect is quite attractive. The portrait itself extends slightly into the lettering ring. The portrait was executed with a very rough finish, against a slate-textured background (a surprisingly attractive, if retro, look, reminiscent of the fields on a 1913 T1 Buffalo nickel). The entire portrait, including clothing, helmet, and the field, have a strongly-textured finish, which reminds me of a portrait done in clay. The relief is strong, particularly in Britannia's face and her robes. This creates a striking appearance in-hand and in photos.

brit-2010ms.jpg

102695.jpg

PRICE REDUCED:

Price includes USPS first class shipping with delivery confirmation.

Payment: Checks, USPS money order, or PayPal (add 3% for Paypal, please).

2010 NGC MS69 G. Britain Silver Britannia S2P - $70

This year's issue is something of a departure from previous trends of style and execution. Termed the "Serene Portrait," the 2010 Britannia design was sculpted by newcomer-to-the-series, Suzie Zamit, who wrote: "I wanted to portray Britannia as strong (almost Amazonian) and courageous looking, but not overly warlike; more peaceful and protective. I have given her a Corinthian-style helmet and incorporated a lion on the design: the lion being the national symbol of courage - I wanted to emphasize the strong and watchful connotations - and this also links in with Greek and Roman coinage which display many animals."

Queen Elizabeth II's portrait is on the obverse as usual; however, this year the entire obverse was done in a completely matte finish. The 2007-2009 issues' obverses were executed in a brilliant finish, and I think that the coins suffered for that. The Queen's cheek is a common spot to see blemishes, due to the large, smooth surfaces. A matte finish is immensely kinder to the effigy than the extraordinarily delicate mirrors of a brilliant finish.

On the reverse, we see the Serene Britannia portrait as described above. The lettering, composition, and date appear in brilliant finish on a brilliantly finished ring around the portrait. The date is flanked by sprigs of leaves (olive leaves?), which is the first time the date was bookended in this manner. The effect is quite attractive. The portrait itself extends slightly into the lettering ring. The portrait was executed with a very rough finish, against a slate-textured background (a surprisingly attractive, if retro, look, reminiscent of the fields on a 1913 T1 Buffalo nickel). The entire portrait, including clothing, helmet, and the field, have a strongly-textured finish, which reminds me of a portrait done in clay. The relief is strong, particularly in Britannia's face and her robes. This creates a striking appearance in-hand and in photos.

brit-2010ms.jpg

20 assorted circulated world coins - BIRD THEME - $14

Each of these coins features a bird of some kind. It's a fun little batch to start off a theme set, or to get kids interested in world coins.

Plus, the price is right! The image below is just a selection. There are 20 coins in this lot, plus a couple modest bonuses.

BTW: The Somiland coin on the bottom row will complete your collection of the entire coinage of that little country.

They only ever made the one coin! lol

birdcoins.jpg