• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Iowa for my Registry set

5 posts in this topic

It looks nice, is that some chestnut toning around the perimeter? smile.gif

Doesn't the state of Iowa have something like 5,000 of these coins left in a vault to be sold in 2046? I'm not making that up, I think they hoarded some and sold half of them in 1996. Anyone with some help on this one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That sounds about right. I remember the big hoopla over the prestine coins supposedly kept in vaults for the '96 celebrations. Then Helen O'Carmody and some Commemorative society fellows were able to view a large sampling of the coins, only to find out, many were somewhat hairlined and abused. Most were of MS64 quality. I believe the vast, vast majority of the vaulted Iowa Commems had little or no toning. Great story though.

TRUTH

It looks nice, is that some chestnut toning around the perimeter? smile.gif

Doesn't the state of Iowa have something like 5,000 of these coins left in a vault to be sold in 2046? I'm not making that up, I think they hoarded some and sold half of them in 1996. Anyone with some help on this one? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes Tom you are correct. They have 5K in storage for a later release, (I'm not sure what year?). They let another 5K go a few years ago for an anniversary. Thus, the very low prices for high grade material.