• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh how I hate the United States Mint, let me count the ways!

13 posts in this topic

So last Thursday, I place my order for my proof and unc. Liberty first spouse, as well as my 2 sets of all the annual sets. Of course, it gets upgraded to expedited shipping since there is gold involved, so that's good right? Well a few minutes after this order I placed another order for the direct ship dollars since the site had a very specific notice to place direct ship orders separately otherwise it would cause a system error. So I followed the instructions.

I check on the orders today, and the un upgraded to expedited shipping dollar coin order is shipped, but the other order is still in process. So I called to see what was going on, and the lovely lady informed me that there were a lot of orders and that it wasn't processed yet. So I asked why the other order was and she responded that the expited upgrade only applied to shipping, not processing and it could take up to 7 business days for them to process the order, and that the other order had only one item so it was processed quickly. Again, this all sounds like hokum to me, so my last statement to the kind lady was "thanks for providing me with the service I've come to expect from our government" and of course given how disconnected our government is from constituents, she actually took that as a compliment... doh!

You should be a little more careful what you say to live bodies at the Mint. They don't get paid extra to foul up customer orders. They do it for free!

Chris

Well, it could be worse, the US Mint could out source their calls via India.

That wouldn't be so bad if they would just take the marbles out of their mouth before they speak.

Chris

Let’s see if this is right:

You placed two orders last Thursday.

Friday was a work day.

Saturday and Sunday were not work days

Monday was a national holiday

Tuesday (the day of your post), one of the orders had been shipped.

Ordered Thursday, shipped Friday…..one day.

The other order got free expedited shipping, but doesn’t say anything about picking and packing; however, the mint rep says it might take 7 days before the other order ships.

I’m kind of dense – I don’t understand the compaint….

Let’s see if this is right:

You placed two orders last Thursday.

Friday was a work day.

Saturday and Sunday were not work days

Monday was a national holiday

Tuesday (the day of your post), one of the orders had been shipped.

Ordered Thursday, shipped Friday…..one day.

The other order got free expedited shipping, but doesn’t say anything about picking and packing; however, the mint rep says it might take 7 days before the other order ships.

I’m kind of dense – I don’t understand the compaint….

I read it the same way...one order packed and shipped very quickly and the second might take a bit longer. I must of missed something... hm

One order shipped Tuesday, within 3 business days, so not bad. The complaint is that the larger, more expensive order was relegated to the back of the line. Most businesses would work hard to complete the order that if 6 times larger with full markup, than the smaller order with no markup.

My complaint is that I want my gold, with overnight shipping, it should have been in my hands yesterday, not waiting for another week till the mint employees get done with their coffee breaks to finally get around to thinking about maybe filling my order if they feel like it.

My complaint is that I want my gold, with overnight shipping, it should have been in my hands yesterday, not waiting for another week till the mint employees get done with their coffee breaks to finally get around to thinking about maybe filling my order if they feel like it.

.........and so does everyone else who ordered it! No one cares about the Direct Ship junk, so you get that right away. J/K

Chris

My complaint is that I want my gold, with overnight shipping,

You may still get it with overnight shipping, just not with overnight processing. But once we get your order all put together.......eventually.......we'll put overnight shipping on it. Possibly part of the order is not available at the moment and they are just holding the order until it is all available so they can bundle it together and overnight ship it.

Sorry you're unhappy, but I still do not understand. Maybe it's a generation thing.

Probably. We "oldtimers" who used to order for the mint back in the early 70's or earlier understand patience. I can't help but wonder what todays collectors would do if they ordered proofs sets and then didn't receive them for ten months. (Oh and you had to pay for them up front by check which were immediately cashed, there was no tracking of orders, and orders could not be canceled. Mint orders went into a black hole and they showed up when they showed up. If they sold out you would eventually be notified of the sell out and that you would be issued a refund.......eventually. And then you waited for THAT to show up someday.)

Back then you used to see letters to the editor in Coin World with their stories of slow delivery. Orders that took over a year for delivery were not unusual. The longest I can remember for someone who actually received delivery was just over two years. The absolute worst case I ever saw was for a guy who ordered a 1971-S proof Ike. He eventually got a notice from the mint that the coin was no longer available, the order could not be filled., and they would be sending him a refuned. He got the notice in 1977, six years after placing the order. (I don't know how long it took to get the refund.)

My complaint is that I want my gold, with overnight shipping,

You may still get it with overnight shipping, just not with overnight processing. But once we get your order all put together.......eventually.......we'll put overnight shipping on it. Possibly part of the order is not available at the moment and they are just holding the order until it is all available so they can bundle it together and overnight ship it.

Sorry you're unhappy, but I still do not understand. Maybe it's a generation thing.

Probably. We "oldtimers" who used to order for the mint back in the early 70's or earlier understand patience. I can't help but wonder what todays collectors would do if they ordered proofs sets and then didn't receive them for ten months. (Oh and you had to pay for them up front by check which were immediately cashed, there was no tracking of orders, and orders could not be canceled. Mint orders went into a black hole and they showed up when they showed up. If they sold out you would eventually be notified of the sell out and that you would be issued a refund.......eventually. And then you waited for THAT to show up someday.)

Back then you used to see letters to the editor in Coin World with their stories of slow delivery. Orders that took over a year for delivery were not unusual. The longest I can remember for someone who actually received delivery was just over two years. The absolute worst case I ever saw was for a guy who ordered a 1971-S proof Ike. He eventually got a notice from the mint that the coin was no longer available, the order could not be filled., and they would be sending him a refuned. He got the notice in 1977, six years after placing the order. (I don't know how long it took to get the refund.)

At least back in the good ol' days you could entice Snowden to make you up some "back-dated" coins if you had something nice to trade. ;)