• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo Nickel Expert request...

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to understand the values on Buffalo Nickles. Particularly, I'm trying to understand why the 1914 D is wholesale valued 4 times greater than the 1926 S in good condition when there were 4 times as many minted. I understand the differences at the AU-MS levels for the two, but the differences at the common levels is giving me fits.

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Buffalo Nickel, or clear this up for me?

Buffalo nickels are not my niche, but I would imagine that the 1914-D as an issue saw extensive use and abuse with relatively few saved with appreciable meat left while the 1926-S, although having a lower mintage, might have been pulled from circulation with remaining meat at a much greater frequency than the 1914-D. Therefore, the extant numbers of 1926-S might be far greater in this grade range than the 1914-D.

One thing to keep in mind is that scarcity and value are not based just upon the original mintage's. But rather, upon surviving populations, as well as supply and demand.

Mark:

I get the supply and demand part. (Look at the prices that people are paying for 2009 nickels and dimes right now). The surviving population part gets me though. I wonder if the weirdness comes from the weaker strikes in the early years of the series compared to later years. Maybe in the lower grades finding a dated '14 is harder because the dates are often worn off. Maybe this was less of a problem in '26. I'm hoping someone knows about a good book...

I am no way qualified to give any certain advice but I do have an opinion (right or wrong - who knows). One contributing factor may be the first year 1913 Buffalos were put away/saved when the came out and may not have seen a great deal of circulation. Then the 1914's are issued and see heavy circulation due to a shortage of nickels being available from 1913. Sorry I can not guide you to a good reference on the subject.

Keeping in mind that many lower grade/value coins are not submitted for grading, here are the NGC populations for the two dates in question in both G and VG condition:

1914-D G:10; VG:15

1926-S G: 23; VG: 81

So, at least in terms of NGC populations, despite the much greater mintage for the 1914-D, far fewer have been graded than the 1926-S in G-VG. And in all grades combined, the 1914-D NGC population (849) is lower than that of the 1926-S (1307).