• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Nickels are out.

14 posts in this topic

The US Mint released rolls and bags of the Lewis and Clark "Peace Medal Design" nickels today. I was tossing around the idea of buying a roll or two but at 8.95 for the P and D roll, that's mighty high especially since they will probably mint more of them if the demand is high. Any chance someone out there is selling them cheaper? any banks have them?

Just pondering out loud.

Dave

I ordered 5 sets yesterday. Will keep for posterity. Actually, I think there will be numerous sets of these sold on eBay, and for more then the $8.95/set mint price. There are just too many people out there that either do not know they can order from the mint or can't/don't want to and they will be looking to eBay auctions to get them!

Dave, I don't think you will find them cheaper anywhere, except maybe a large numismatic store that bought in bulk with a discount. But I wouldn't count on it!

David wink.gif

No you don't...

No Elvis or Frankies on these, not even a bing! These are horrible, let me sell them to you in a few years!

Dave

okay, I have to admit, I ordered 2 bags of each P&D sets and 10 rolls. I don't expect them to be worth too much in the near future but perhaps my grandchildren or their children can enjoy them.

I will open one bag of each P&D in hopes I find something amazing, the other two bags and 10 rolls will never be opened by me, stored away forever! A secret hoard!

but now that you guys know my secret, I'll have to kill ya!

Dave

It would be nice for the mint to have a program where the nicest MS examples go directly to one or both of the grading services. Instant supply for instand demand.

TRUTH

Well, I, um, ordered a roll yesterday but I tagged it along with the proof and uncirculated Edison commems. But! I did not give in to the hype and buy 2003 nickels.

Instead of ConEdison, the mint should change its name to ConMint for selling those suckers.

Hi Victor,

How have you been doing? I hope all has been well.

I also ordered the Edison commems and two sets of the Lewis and Clark Peace Medal nickels yesterday. I thought I would go through the rolls looking for a couple of high grade examples to add to my nickel collection, although to be honest I have not had much luck in the past buying rolls from the mint and finding anything of any real quality.

John

Hello, John.

Life is good if not always great. cool.gif Thanks for asking. I've taken the last couple of months off and working on fixing the place up that I bought for my mom, here in the Ozarks.

I'm curious to see how the Indian Peace design reduces on the smaller nickel. Regardless, it is still an historic event.

Although the Edison commem is not staggering in its design, it is still adequate. I have about half of the modern silver dollar commems and would like to eventually obtain a complete set. I'm not interested in slabbed commems, however.

Well, take care and I hope that you're braving out those New York winters. crazy.gif

Winters.. I wish we had one here in Texas.... It was close to 75 the other day... and March is just getting goin... oh boy in for a long summer

I don't think you will find them cheaper anywhere, except maybe a large numismatic store that bought in bulk with a discount.

Bought with a discount from whom? The Mint no longer does volume discounts. They stopped because the last time they did it the large dealers bought a BUNCH of them and then started selling them retail for less than what the mint was selling them to collectors for. Most all of the sets that year were sold for a discount price and the mint lost most of their full price sales.