• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taking Good Photos posted by 9sec93lx

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does'nt anybody use a scanner??

All this talk of exposures and tripods and what not. Too complicated.... All the coins in my collection were scanned into the various sets. I've used a HP 4200C flat bed scanner for a long time. It's a no-brainer, you just lay the coin on the bed. Push a button or two and presto a great photo comes out. Perfectly exposed, no shaking hands, nothing. It also will scan at up to 3200DPI. Which is better than any digital camera I'm aware of today. I usually scan @ 400-600 DPI for all my pics, looks fine to me. I Think...

Tommy

7635.jpg

See more journals by 9sec93lx

Your scan looks pretty good.

I really like the scanner for currency because it lays flat on the glass and scans are in focus. I have tried to scan coins with no such luck. ??? All my scans are slightly out of focus due, I think, to the coin in the NGC holder not laying exactly on the glass. The coin is slightly raised off the glass due the thickness of the holder. The edge of the holder is in focus, but not the coin. I am using a Brother multi-function scanner/printer/copier/fax.

Any suggestions for me scanning coins to get them in focus?

As far as focus goes, I'm not sure if its adjustable . A few things I always do before scanning are. Make sure the glass on scanner is clean, also wipe slab off so there's no fingerprints etc. Be sure to place a clean sheet of paper on top of your coin slab. Sometimes I use a white sheet, sometimes they show up better with a colored piece of paper behind it. It seems to help with the contrast. You might try adjusting contrast, brightness, DPI resolution to get the best shot. All else fails buy the HP scanner I have. I've been a seller on Ebay for a few years now and I've used it for coins, currency, baseball cards,photographs,books, magazines and anything else thats flat. It's never failed to put out an awesome image. Good Luck!

Tommy