• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Hot and what's not in U.S. Coinage these days.

32 posts in this topic

I am not going to pretend to know all of them. The primary ones I have bought and owned which have done well for many years though are South Africa Union and ZAR.

Some others such as pillar coinage and the Spanish 18th century silver have made some money though much less. For example, Northeast Numismatics just sold a 1725 SJ NGC MS-65 Spain 2R for $1250. I have a similar, though not exact coin, a 1729 SJ NGC MS-66 1R for which I paid about $200 in 2003. Its not the same coin but they are approximately equally scarce.

The difference between these two series is that with South Africa, I can buy and "flip" them for multiples of my cost fairly regularly. The others, I cannot because everyone knows that they are scarce so they cannot be bought cheap and besides, there are far fewer of them available. And, its not likely going to work for someone who has hundreds of thousands or millions to 'invest" because the coins are cheap and the number available are low. But its feasible for the collector of moderate means.

What I have described is the past and not the future. Also, as I have stated before, I'm not positive on the financial prospects for ANY coins for the near and intermediate term. However, on a RELATIVE basis, I still think coins such as these have better prospects than most US coins. Others would include other Latin coinage such as the Mexico "Cap & Ray" (especially 4R if you can find them) and likely coins from China.

I am far more familiar with Latin coinage than Chinese but generically, these would be my first two choices. However, the buyer needs to be careful how much they pay because there is limited "price discovery". I only buy my Latin coins from auctions because most coins sold by dealers seem to sell for substantial mark-ups.

Civil War and before coins, especially coins that represent type changes which are required to complete type sets. Plus, grade is always important. The higher the relative grade, the higher the profit potectial. The issue is finding coins priced right in this economy.

My 2 cents on 3 cents is; don't waste your time. They were 35-40% higher three years ago and could not hold prices except for scarce Type 3 issues. I used to collect them.