• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this?

31 posts in this topic

Hey i am normally over at the comic but i have a coin and i need some help. I know this is not a US coin but i do not know where to post this.

Anybody have any info on this??

2cqfr14.jpg

52x347.jpg

appears to be a gold spanish cob from the 16-17th centuries

the million dollar question is

is it authentic or a reproduction?????????????????

good luck!!

A couple of weeks ago on Pawn Stars, a guy brought one of those in and it's value was around $18,000.

I would have that authenticated by an expert in old spanish gold coins. If it's the real deal, and can be authenticated as a ship salvage cob, you have a great find.

Hmm, What would be the best approach to get this coin authenticated? And how much would it cost?I would put up some better pics but my camera is . I know NGC would grade it.

Do a search in your area for someone who specializes in old Spanish gold coinage. If there is a museum near you they might be able to put you in touch with an expert of this kind, local numismatic association or club may have a member who is regarded as an expert on these.

As far as cost, it usually doesn't cost anything and if it does, it may be nominal at best.

Honestly, it looks like a cast copy.

The scanned images of this coin make it impossible to make that judgement.

Not really, take a look at your pics, it looks like the surfaces are very bumpy. That's what I made my judgment from.

Honestly, it looks like a cast copy.

The scanned images of this coin make it impossible to make that judgement.

Not really, take a look at your pics, it looks like the surfaces are very bumpy. That's what I made my judgment from.

They're not mine.

Those are scanned images not photos, and they are too small to make a determination of being fake or genuine.

my first impression what that it was a cast copy but it could be the not so great photos

i cant take photos myself but be that as it may

i would send it to ngc for examination and then you get a true real answer and if it is genuine you will get it in a holder be it a details holder or a straight graded holder

good luck with it and certainly a historical way cool coin with good market value and demand if genuine

my first impression what that it was a cast copy but it could be the not so great photos

i would send it to ngc for examination and then you get a true real answer and if it is genuine you will get it in a holder be it a details holder or a straight graded holder

good luck with it and certainly a historical way cool coin with good market value and demand if genuine

However, the OP is not wanting to foot that expense from the sounds of it. Which is why I suggested finding someone in his area who is knowledgeable about Spanish coinage from the 17th and 18th century.

However, the OP is not wanting to foot that expense from the sounds of it. Which is why I suggested finding someone in his area who is knowledgeable about Spanish coinage from the 17th and 18th century.

If it's real, it really needs to be authenticated by NGC or PCGS if the owner ever hopes to get anywhere near its full value.

If it's real, it really needs to be authenticated by NGC or PCGS if the owner ever hopes to get anywhere near its full value.

Or by someone in the OP's area who is an expert on Spanish coinage from the 17th and 18th centuries and can authenticate it as genuine gold cob, as well as ship salvage.

The feeling I get from the OP he doesnt want to go through a lot of expense for having it authenticated.

If the OP is not wanting or willing to go through with the added expense, which, really isn't that much especially considering the increased value that would be given if authenticated, then I doubt he could expect to get any serious offers on this coin.

If the OP is not wanting or willing to go through with the added expense, which, really isn't that much especially considering the increased value that would be given if authenticated, then I doubt he could expect to get any serious offers on this coin.

Not necessarily true.

Not everyone is hung up with a coin in an slab.

If the OP is not wanting or willing to go through with the added expense, which, really isn't that much especially considering the increased value that would be given if authenticated, then I doubt he could expect to get any serious offers on this coin. [/quote

true

as there is an increased comfort, increased demand and hence liquidity with this particular coin if it is deemed authentic and graded which will overall create an increased market acceptance for this coin from 99% of buyers that need the grade and authenticity guaranteed by a service with a great market acceptence in grading world coins and currently in the marketplace this is NGC

and of course there will be a few that can tell the grade and authencity but overall for $30 or so dollars there is a HUGE INCREASE IN THE NUMBERS OF BUYERS THAT WILL INSTANTLY consider THIS COIN IF HOLDERED AND GRADED BY NGC

BY A FACTOR OF 100X

If the OP is not wanting or willing to go through with the added expense, which, really isn't that much especially considering the increased value that would be given if authenticated, then I doubt he could expect to get any serious offers on this coin. [/quote

true

as there is an increased comfort, increased demand and hence liquidity with this particular coin if it is deemed authentic and graded which will overall create an increased market acceptance for this coin from 99% of buyers that need the grade and authenticity guaranteed by a service with a great market acceptence in grading world coins and currently in the marketplace this is NGC

and of course there will be a few that can tell the grade and authencity but overall for $30 or so dollars there is a HUGE INCREASE IN THE NUMBERS OF BUYERS THAT WILL INSTANTLY consider THIS COIN IF HOLDERED AND GRADED BY NGC

BY A FACTOR OF 100X

Totally agree with michael. This coin is quite expensive if it's real and it will appeal primarily to only wealthy collectors who are savvy enough to know that there are many fakes and replicas in the marketplace and they will insist on it be authenticated by a recognized authority like NGC before even considering it for purchase.

true

BY A FACTOR OF 100X

Totally agree with michael. This coin is quite expensive if it's real and it will appeal primarily to only wealthy collectors who are savvy enough to know that there are many fakes and replicas in the marketplace and they will insist on it be authenticated by a recognized authority like NGC before even considering it for purchase.

Than those collectors need a serious reality check.

Buy the coin, not the fancy slab it's in.

Regardless, the coin is what it is, slabbed or not, and it's value is what it is, slabbed or not.

I think we all can agree that a coin's value is based on the coin and not the third party that grades it. So, if you actually believe you can get what this coin is worth.... then put it up on ebay for a 99 cent start. You'll see what it's worth in this condition. Get it slabbed, sell it again with a 99 cent start... and see what it's worth. The proof is in the puddin!

true

BY A FACTOR OF 100X

Than those collectors need a serious reality check.

Buy the coin, not the fancy slab it's in.

Regardless, the coin is what it is, slabbed or not, and it's value is what it is, slabbed or not.

than those collectoes need a reality check i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the fact remains............... based on my limited experiences in coins for the past 40+ years

the holder for this particular coin will help to the extreme the demand and saleability

unfortunately just the way it is

for example and you can multiply this example 1,000,000++ times

my friend had a mintmarked early commem cinci. in a blue tag ms 65 pcgs holder

at the 2003 pittsburgh summer ana i think 2003 or 2004??

no one would give him 500 for the coin when offered on the bourse in its ms 65 holder

at the show he joined the collectors club for a year

and had 8 free grades he needed one more and my dealer friend told him why not submit that ms 65 cinci coin in the holder for an upgrade?? he said you dont have a prayer but well it aint gonna cost you anything and tou need one more submission to round out the 8 free regrades as the next grade up it is a pop 10 coin and one has not been made in 66 for the last 6 years and if it gets 66 you got a coin that you can instantly sell for 3k as there are many registry set people who will buy it instantly

well guess what?? it came back ms 66 so again the saleability and demand increased to the point where it was unsaleable to aNYONE ON THE BOURSE AT 500 BUT A POINT HIGHER SAME COIN AND IT WAS gone for 6x 5 minutes after he got it back from pcgs

and the coin in my opinion sucked as a ms 65 asnd was butt ugly toned to boot but well there was demand

go figure

and yes whomever bought it needed a reality check but well such is the current slab market game

Sir Coinsman, unfortunately there is more money than brains in the coin market. I have to disagree with your dying out comment. Some people just have to have the top spot in the registry no matter how ugly the coin is.

Sir Coinsman, unfortunately there is more money than brains in the coin market. I have to disagree with your dying out comment. Some people just have to have the top spot in the registry no matter how ugly the coin is.

Time will tell.

Short version of Michael's story

Guy had an ugly coin that people who know coins wouldn't touch. Coin got bumped a grade and was suddenly instantly saleable because dealers could place it with someone who DOESN'T know coins but who can read a slab label.

Short version of Michael's story

Guy had an ugly coin that people who know coins wouldn't touch. Coin got bumped a grade and was suddenly instantly saleable because dealers could place it with someone who DOESN'T know coins but who can read a slab label.

(thumbs u

and to boot the end user wants it so badly and pay whatever for it

that there could be a round turd where the coin is as long as the holder says ms 66 cinci with the specific date and mintmark pcgs

that there could be a round turd where the coin is as long as the holder says ms 66 cinci with the specific date and mintmark pcgs

:sick: