• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reply to Truthteller's Challenge

7 posts in this topic

In a recent thread, truthteller laid down the following challenge to me:

Of the next 10 coins you buy, one of them has to be of an area of the world you have visited. Say you bought the Nurnberg thaler, have you visited there? Once you accept this challenge, you have to give a synopsis of the trip you took. No fair buying a Santa Ana, Ca token, it's got to be a real coin. Do you accept the challenge.?????

...and this is my reply, the sixth coin bought after a threw down the gauntlet!

I accepted and this 1931 Hong Kong Cent is the coin I chose to complete the challenge:

409895-26.JPG

In 1998 I was dating a Filipino girl. I met her while she was visiting a mutual friend in the United States and we hit it off well (she later turned out to be a psycho, but that’s another challenge). She was in the process of moving to the United States but had not yet received her visa and returned to the Philippines after her trip. After I decided to visit her in her home country I asked if there were any interesting side trips we could take, having never been to Asia before. She suggested a few days in Hong Kong and made the travel arrangements, which sets the stage for my coin.

We spent four days and three nights in Kowloon, Hong Kong, just a few years after the Chinese takeover. I breezed through customs with my US passport but she took a bit longer, I guess they wanted to make sure she would eventually leave. They had just opened a new airport, Chek Lap Kok, so I missed the harrowing descent into the old one nestled amongst skyscrapers.

The travel package included a tour so we did the usual touristy things for the first two days: a trip to Victoria Peak, a ride on the Star Ferry, a trip to some Buddhist shrines, a visit to Repulse Bay and many opportunities for duty free shopping (I bought Scotch). My stomach was a little upset after the “[!@#%^&^] Fight Loser Soup” (no joke) in the Philippines, so I probably missed out on some great and exotic food opting for English pub food instead.

The better parts of the visit were just wandering about the city, it’s the only city I’ve visited that had the hustle, bustle and electricity I grew accustomed to commuting to New York for several years. Some of the highlights included buying a tailor made suit and shirts and visiting the Museum of Fine Arts’ collection of Chinese paintings and British Museum loaner Egyptian antiquities.

I’m not sure what happened to the pictures I took during that trip so I can’t provide any. One of the reasons I wanted to visit Hong Kong was I had an opportunity to work there upon completing my education but passed due to fear of the Communists.

Is this reply satisfactory, truth?

-JamminJ

In 1998 I was dating a Filipino girl. I met her while she was visiting a mutual friend in the United States and we hit it off well (she later turned out to be a psycho, but that’s another challenge).

-JamminJ

Hate it when that happens grin.gif

Good lookin coin JJ. I was wondering what you were gonna come up with for this.

Hate it when that happens grin.gif

At least I found out soon enough that no long term damage was done!

Good lookin coin JJ. I was wondering what you were gonna come up with for this.

Thanks, TT's challenge certainly pushed me to pick something up I wouldn't normally have bought. I'm quite fond of red copper but frightened of it turning. Heer's a way to have my copper without much worry.

-JamminJ

Excellent response to my challenge. Nice coin and wonderful story. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH

Glad you enjoyed it! acclaim.gif

-JamminJ