• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the cent book 1816-1839 for sale------------- final price

4 posts in this topic

very good condition harcover book with great photos and swen bindings a quality book with an even better insides :cloud9:

there is no dust jacket but i think none were ever issued with this book

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

The CENT Book was released at the 25th anniversary convention of Early American Coppers (EAC) on 3-5 April, 1992

This is the first new standard reference work on varieties of U.S. cents of 1816-1839 in over fifty years.

The author, John D. Wright of Saint Joseph, Michigan, has collected this series for over forty years, and has written many numismatic articles over the past thirty years. He has been a frequent exhibitor and speaker on various large cent topics at local, state, regional, and national club, EAC, and ANA conventions over the last twenty-five years. His "Study on Overdated U.S. Large Cents" won the silver Heath literary award in 1969. He authored the large cent section of the popular 'Red Book' (A Guidebook of U.S. Coins, Whitman) in 1979, and the chapter "It Makes Cents" in Perspectives in Numismatics in 1986. He was a member of the original ANA Grading Board, and was a consultant to ANACS for over a decade for authentication and grading of early U.S. copper. He has been a leader of EAC and a Contributing Editor for Penny-Wise since 1968, and a member of Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG) since 1981. The CENT Book has been in active preparation for twenty years. It was chosen by NLG as "Best U.S. Coin Book of 1992".

This is the first work ever to cover this series in a manner well suited to both the beginner and the advanced collector.

The author photographed coins from several prominent collections to provide almost 500 three-inch-diameter photographs showing excellent examples of every known variety of the series, and another 400 photographs in the lifesize die-chains in the back of the book.

The CENT Book includes an extensive glossary, discussions of several topics of interest to copper collectors, and a complete rarity table. The discussion of each year puts these coins into the context of their times in a very entertaining manner. The presentation of each of the 246 varieties of 1816-1839 cents includes a complete description of each die, striking variations and die states, and an individual variety discussion including rarity, known population by grade, discovery and known history of the rarer varieties, and a general idea of expected prices. By using this book, a single cherrypick could repay the cost of the book and more. And a careful reading could seriously infect the reader with "the cent disease".

The CENT Book has compressed into 400 8.5x11" pages over forty years of in-depth experience by one of the best-known authorities on this fascinating series, and admirably shows the author's infectious love for the old coppers.

400 pages, containing 500 high-quality photographs covering every variety in the Middle Date series.

TESTIMONIALS

"Best US Coin Book of 1992"

-- Numismatic Literary Guild*******************************

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"This is *THE* book on the subject"

-- Money Tree

"John didn't leave out a thing"

-- Warren Lapp

"Your book is beautiful! I congratulate you on the content"

-- Herb Silberman

"I especially like the historical notes"

-- Tom DeLorey

"The CENT Book is fantastic! The year-by-year history is a very nice touch and keeps you reading"

-- Tony Carlotto

"It's all I'd dreamed it could be and more"

-- Mark Klein

"I have Adams, Breen, Grellman, Newcomb, Noyes, and Sheldon, but The CENT Book is the best"

-- Rich Striley

"The pictures are so sharp they make attributing an absolute pleasure"

-- Jules Reiver

"If you want to KNOW large cents, get The CENT Book. If you want to ENJOY them, same book"

-- Alan Corson

***********************************************************************************************

what makes this particular book that i am selling quite interesting is that during its release at the 25th anni. convention of the EAC april 3-5 1992

there is an inscription in the book

"for my friend mike ringo in the hope that you find it both enjoyable and useful"

john d wright 5 april 92'

the above written and signed by the author and in gold ink!! at the release of the book

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is something about mike ringo a really famous early copper guy who unfortunately passed away in early 2007

ONLINE TRIBUTE TO MIKE RINGO

Alan V. Weinberg writes: "With respect to the surprising demise of

a "youngish" Mike Ringo, his death brings to mind the sudden and

premature cancer-related death of American colonial dealer Dave

Sonderman in the 1980's. Both Mike and Dave were very similar in

their approach to the historical and esoteric aspects of our hobby."

Dave Wnuck writes: "I saw the tribute to Mike Ringo in the most recent

issue. His untimely death shook me up. I put an article with my

remembrances of Mike on our website. I wanted to educate those who

didn't have the pleasure of knowing Mike to know just what the

numismatic community has lost."

link to tribute

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=entry&thread_id=1&id=90&thread_name=Coin+Commentary

priced at $110 usd plus $13 for insured priority mail shipping

total $123 and please i would need a united states postal money order bought only at the usa post office for $123

please pm me

thanks for looking